About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Musculoskeletal System Alterations chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| Bone Tissue: Functions and Types; |
Skeletal System and Muscular System;
Joints: Structure and Functions;
What is Myopathy? - Definition, Causes and Symptoms
| The kinds of cells found in bone; |
Different types of muscles, and the bones of the skeletal system;
A look at different joints and how they aid in the body's movements;
Two classes of myopathies and the ways in which they're diagnosed
|Tuesday|| Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: Affected Locations, Signs and Treatments; |
Osteoarthritis: Causes, Mechanism and Treatment;
What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?- Causes, Symptoms and Treatment;
What is Ankylosing Spondylitis? - Symptoms and Treatment
| A look at what happens when this condition occurs; |
The pathophysiology of this disease;
The effects of rheumatoid arthritis on the body;
An exploration of how and why this disease occurs
|Wednesday|| What is Gout? - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment; |
How Psoriasis Can Cause Arthritis;
Infectious Causes of Arthritis: Sepsis and Lyme;
What is Osteomyelitis? - Definition, Causes and Treatment
| An explanation of what happens when crystals form in the joints; |
The contributing factors for psoriatic arthritis;
The reasons for and diagnosis of septic arthritis;
The clinical signs and treatment of this condition
|Thursday|| What is Osteoporosis? - Definition, Causes and Treatment; |
Osteomalacia and Rickets: Causes and Symptoms;
Paget's Disease of Bone: Causes, Symptoms and Treatments
| A look at the risk factors for osteoporosis; |
The correlation between vitamin D and osteomalacia;
An explanation of how some viruses or fractures can lead to this bone disease
|Friday|| The Types of Broken Bones and Luxations; |
The Different Types of Skeletal and Muscle Tumors;
Marfan Syndrome: Signs and Management
| The characteristics of open, closed and incomplete fractures; |
Cancers of the muscles;
The causes of this genetic tissue disorder
1. Bone Tissue: Functions and Types
In this lesson, we will explore bone as a connective tissue. We will discuss the anatomy of bone, as well as the cell types which make up bone, including how bone is formed and broken down.
2. Skeletal System and Muscular System
Do you know how many bones are in the human body? Check out this video lesson to uncover the answer, as well as understand the role and importance of the skeletal and muscular systems.
3. Joints: Structure and Functions
Find out what part of your body is affected when you tear your meniscus, how synovial fluid is made, what the synovial membrane helps to comprise, what a joint is, and why a joint capsule is important.
4. What is Myopathy? - Definition, Causes & Symptoms
This lesson will discuss what a myopathy is. We'll mention the two major classes of myopathies and some examples of each, as well as how they may be diagnosed and treated.
5. Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: Affected Locations, Signs & Treatments
Duchenne muscular dystrophy is a devastating form of muscular dystrophy that affects one in 3,600 boys. This lesson explores the reason Duchenne muscular dystrophy occurs, as well as its diagnosis, treatment, and patient prognosis.
6. Osteoarthritis: Causes, Mechanism, and Treatment
This lesson will discuss osteoarthritis. We'll talk about the basic pathophysiology behind what occurs in this condition, the risk factors involved, and the way by which it can be diagnosed and treated.
7. What is Rheumatoid Arthritis? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson explores a very common and well-known form of inflammatory arthritis called rheumatoid arthritis. We'll discuss why it occurs, how it can be diagnosed, how it differs from osteoarthritis, and how it can be treated.
8. What is Ankylosing Spondylitis? - Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson will go over a condition called ankylosing spondylitis and whom it is most likely to affect, why it may occur, what symptoms and signs it causes, and the way it can diagnosed and treated.
9. What is Gout? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson will cover a condition known as gout as well as the physiological mechanism behind its formation. We'll cover important clinical signs, diagnostics steps, and treatments utilized for this disease.
10. How Psoriasis Can Cause Arthritis
This lesson will discuss a condition called psoriatic arthritis. You'll find out if it's related to psoriasis, how your own body's defense systems may play a role, and how it can be diagnosed and treated.
11. Infectious Causes of Arthritis: Sepsis and Lyme
This lesson will discuss septic arthritis and how Lyme disease may play a role in the development of arthritis. We'll talk about the ways septic arthritis may be diagnosed and treated.
12. What is Osteomyelitis? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson will discuss something known as osteomyelitis. We'll talk about why it may occur, what a sequestrum and involucrum have to do with it, and how it can be diagnosed and treated.
13. What is Osteoporosis? - Definition, Causes & Treatment
Osteoporosis affects more than ten million people and causes more than one million fractures in the United States alone. Everyone is at risk for osteoporosis, but women are especially vulnerable. Learn more about this condition, including risk factors, causes, signs, diagnosis, and treatment in this video lesson.
14. Osteomalacia and Rickets: Causes and Symptoms
This lesson will discuss two similar conditions that are called osteomalacia and rickets. You'll find out whom they affect, why it happens, how they are diagnosed, and how they may be treated.
15. Paget's Disease of Bone: Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will discuss a condition known as Paget's disease of bone. We'll talk about its risk factors, why it occurs, how a doctor may diagnose it, as well as how it may be treated.
16. The Types of Broken Bones and Luxations
In this lesson, you'll learn about the many different kinds of bone fractures that may occur. We'll discuss open, closed, comminuted, complete, incomplete, and many other types of fractures and joint dislocations.
17. The Different Types of Skeletal and Muscle Tumors
In this lesson, we'll take a look at three different types of cancers. One affects the bones and two affect different types of muscles in your body. We'll also go over how they may be diagnosed and treated.
18. Marfan Syndrome: Signs and Management
This lesson will explore a condition known as Marfan syndrome. It's a potentially deadly disease that involves everything from the skeleton to the heart. Find out more as we take a look at why it occurs and how it may be treated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pathophysiology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Pathophysiology Basics Lesson Plans
- Aberrant Immune System Lesson Plans
- The Pathophysiology of Neoplasia Lesson Plans
- Skin Related Pathology Lesson Plans
- Nervous System Injury Lesson Plans
- Major Nervous System Disorders Lesson Plans
- Congenital Cardiovascular Defects Lesson Plans
- Acquired Cardiovascular Abnormalities Lesson Plans
- Respiratory System Pathologies Lesson Plans
- Important Renal Anatomy Lesson Plans
- Urinary System Diseases Lesson Plans
- Gastrointestinal System Conditions Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Derangements Lesson Plans
- Anemia Lesson Plans
- Hematological Maladies Lesson Plans
- Blood Cancers Lesson Plans
- Reproductive System Disorders Lesson Plans
- Electrolytes, Cells & Blood Proteins Test Results Lesson Plans
- Organ Function & Health Test Results Lesson Plans