About This Chapter
Musculoskeletal System Disorders & Diseases - Chapter Summary
Numerous disorders and diseases can affect the musculoskeletal system in the human body. Examine these conditions by exploring short lessons that cover osteoarthritis, osteomalacia, Paget's disease of the bone and more. Learn about their causes, symptoms and treatments, then assess how much information you've absorbed by taking short lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. When finished, you will have a strong understanding of the following:
- What the definition, causes and symptoms of myopathy are
- Why osteoarthritis begins and how it is treated
- How rheumatoid arthritis is caused and treated
- How Lyme disease and other infectious agents can cause arthritis
- What some treatments of osteomyelitis and osteoporosis are
- What are systems and causes of rickets and osteomalacia
- How Paget's disease of the bone occurs
- Types of fractures, dislocation and other types of broken bones and luxations
- What are types of muscle and skeletal tumors
1. What is Myopathy? - Definition, Causes & Symptoms
This lesson will discuss what a myopathy is. We'll mention the two major classes of myopathies and some examples of each, as well as how they may be diagnosed and treated.
2. Osteoarthritis: Causes, Mechanism, and Treatment
This lesson will discuss osteoarthritis. We'll talk about the basic pathophysiology behind what occurs in this condition, the risk factors involved, and the way by which it can be diagnosed and treated.
3. What is Rheumatoid Arthritis? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson explores a very common and well-known form of inflammatory arthritis called rheumatoid arthritis. We'll discuss why it occurs, how it can be diagnosed, how it differs from osteoarthritis, and how it can be treated.
4. Infectious Causes of Arthritis: Sepsis and Lyme
This lesson will discuss septic arthritis and how Lyme disease may play a role in the development of arthritis. We'll talk about the ways septic arthritis may be diagnosed and treated.
5. What is Osteomyelitis? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson will discuss something known as osteomyelitis. We'll talk about why it may occur, what a sequestrum and involucrum have to do with it, and how it can be diagnosed and treated.
6. What is Osteoporosis? - Definition, Causes & Treatment
Osteoporosis affects more than ten million people and causes more than one million fractures in the United States alone. Everyone is at risk for osteoporosis, but women are especially vulnerable. Learn more about this condition, including risk factors, causes, signs, diagnosis, and treatment in this video lesson.
7. Osteomalacia and Rickets: Causes and Symptoms
This lesson will discuss two similar conditions that are called osteomalacia and rickets. You'll find out whom they affect, why it happens, how they are diagnosed, and how they may be treated.
8. Paget's Disease of Bone: Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will discuss a condition known as Paget's disease of bone. We'll talk about its risk factors, why it occurs, how a doctor may diagnose it, as well as how it may be treated.
9. The Types of Broken Bones and Luxations
In this lesson, you'll learn about the many different kinds of bone fractures that may occur. We'll discuss open, closed, comminuted, complete, incomplete, and many other types of fractures and joint dislocations.
10. The Different Types of Skeletal and Muscle Tumors
In this lesson, we'll take a look at three different types of cancers. One affects the bones and two affect different types of muscles in your body. We'll also go over how they may be diagnosed and treated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Biology 106: Pathophysiology course
- Pathophysiology Components
- Inflammation Causes & Treatment
- Pathophysiology of Cancer & Neoplasia
- Skin Disorders & Pathophysiology
- Nervous System Injury & Trauma
- Major Nervous System Disorders
- Congenital Heart & Cardiovascular Defects
- Developed Cardiovascular Abnormalities
- Anemia Causes, Types & Classification
- Hematological Conditions & Pathologies
- Clinical Blood Tests
- Respiratory System Pathologies
- Gastrointestinal System Conditions
- Diabetes & Metabolic Derangements
- Kidney Structure
- Urinary System Diseases
- Clinical Tests of the Urinary System
- Disorders of the Reproductive System
- Studying for Biology 106