About This Chapter
Music Instruction in Texas - Chapter Summary
Gain greater insight into music instruction in Texas with help from our instructors. They have created fun lessons you can access anytime to boost your knowledge of music-related career options, music plan templates, formative and summative assessment ideas for music students and more. By the end of this chapter, you will understand how to:
- Plan music curricula that will align with TEKS
- Sequence music instruction
- Make your music classroom more inclusive
- Teach students to think critically about music and help students develop their musical skills
- Integrate music instruction with other subjects
- Utilize music technology within the classroom setting
- Select vocal and instrumental literature for music students
- Explain legal issues as they pertain to music in an educational setting
Whether you want to refresh your current knowledge of music instruction in Texas or learn this subject for the first time, this chapter can help. Choose the lessons you want to view based on your study goals, and visit them as often as you'd like. Take short quizzes to find out how well you understand specific topics covered in the lessons, and gauge your overall knowledge of the subject with the chapter exam. If you need to clarify lesson topics, don't hesitate to send your questions to our experts.
1. Planning Music Curriculum to Align with TEKS
As a music teacher in Texas, you are probably required to align your curriculum with TEKS. This lesson gives you some tips for how to make sure your music curriculum works in accordance with the standards.
2. Sequencing of Music Instruction
In this lesson we discuss the ways to sequence music instruction. This includes ways for the music educator to encourage active, as opposed to passive, participation in the classroom, and to make the content come alive and be meaningful.
3. How to Make Your Music Classroom More Inclusive
If you are a music teacher striving for inclusivity, there are many specific actions you can take. This lesson offers some ideas for how you can make sure every student feels welcome in your music class.
4. How to Teach Students to Think Critically About Music
For many people, music is an integral part of life. However, most tend not to adopt a critical approach to this pervasive art form. In this lesson, teachers are provided with strategies designed to teach students how to think critically about music.
5. How to Help Students Develop Musical Skills
This lesson discusses how to help students develop music skills and a lifelong appreciation for music. Students should strive to learn how to play both independently and with other musicians.
6. Music-Related Career Options
In this lesson, we discuss potential music-related career options. We will also review how to promote music to help enrich students' lives, both for possible future employment and as a lifelong love and hobby.
7. How to Integrate Music Instruction with Other Subjects
In this lesson we discuss methodologies for integrating music instruction with various subjects, and examine the relationships between the concepts and processes of music and other classroom teachings.
8. Using Music Technology In the Classroom
In this lesson we discuss how to utilize helpful music technology in the classroom setting. This includes using technology for singing, playing instruments, and musical performances.
9. Selecting Vocal & Instrumental Literature for Music Students
It can be difficult to find vocal and instrumental literature for students that challenges them appropriately. The following lesson focuses on how to assess students in a way that allows you to effectively pick musical literature.
10. Music Lesson Plan Template
Whether you are a music teacher or a classroom teacher incorporating music into your pedagogy, planning is of the essence. This lesson helps you by offering a template for strong planning and organization.
11. Legal Issues Related to Music in an Education Setting
In this lesson, we will discuss legal and ethical issues related to the use or performance of music in an educational setting, particularly regarding copyright laws and regulations concerning the use and performance of music.
12. Formative Assessment Ideas for Music Students
Formative assessments are a non-graded assessment that help determine how a student is doing in a subject. This lesson focuses on formative assessments for music and provides a number of ideas on how to incorporate such assessments into your curriculum.
13. Summative Assessment Ideas for Music Students
Summative assessments are graded evaluations of a student's knowledge of a subject at a point in time such as the end of a unit. This lesson focuses on summative assessments for the music classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Music EC-12 (177): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES Music EC-12 Exam
- Elements of Music Notation
- Elements of Pitch
- Elements of Melody
- Elements of Tone
- Elements of Harmony in Music
- Elements of Chord Progression
- Nonharmonic Tones
- Meter & Rhythm
- Musical Forms
- Music Sections
- Composing, Arranging & Improvising Music
- Vocal Range
- Principles of Singing
- Understanding Instruments
- Opera and Orchestral Music
- Medieval Music
- Music of the Renaissance
- Music in the Baroque Period
- The Classical Period in Music
- The Romantic Period in Music
- Jazz Music
- Musical Theater and Popular Music
- Music of the Modern Era
- Contemporary Music
- Music of the World
- Music Teaching Strategies
- TExES Music EC-12 Flashcards