About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering music's Classical period material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the Classical period of music. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the history of the symphony and compositions of Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about music (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about the Classical period of music
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra music learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Classical period of music chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Classical period of music chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any Classical period question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a Classical period of music unit of a standard introduction to humanities course. Topics covered include:
- Instrumental music in the Classical era
- How music connected to art in the Classical period
- The characteristics and usage of the piano
- What type of operas were prevalent in the Classical period
- The symphonies and compositions of Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn
1. Instrumental Music in the Classical Era
During music's Classical period, instrumental music was popular entertainment in both the concert hall and the home. In this lesson, we'll look at four popular genres of Classical-era instrumental music: symphony, concerto, string quartet, and sonata.
2. Classical Music and Art: How Music Connected to Art in the Classical Period
Did you know that the word 'classical' in 'Classical music' is a reference to 'classical' Greek and Roman art? In this lesson, we'll talk about how the culture of Ancient Greece and Rome influenced both music and art during music's Classical Period.
3. The Piano: Instrument Definition, Characteristics and Usage
The piano is central to so many of today's music genres, but did you know that it first became popular during music's Classical Period? In this lesson, we'll look at the history of the piano, find out how it works, and learn about the role it played in Classical-era music.
4. The Symphony: History, Parts and Function in Society
During the Classical Period, the genre of symphony was considered the highest form of instrumental music. In this lesson, we'll look at how the symphony developed and the part it played in Classical-era culture.
5. Classical Era Opera: Mozart and Popular Operas
Classical era opera offers a dramatic reflection of the society of its time. Read on to learn about opera seria and opera buffa, the two popular styles of Classical era opera.
6. Classical Era Composers: Mozart, Haydn & Beethoven
Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven are the three composers who epitomize music's Classical period. In this lesson, we'll explore their life stories and learn about the kinds of music they wrote.
7. Mozart: Operas, Symphonies & Piano Concerti
Mozart was one of the top composers of music's Classical period. In this lesson, we'll look at three categories of his greatest works: the genres of opera, symphony, and piano concerto.
8. Haydn: Symphonies and Compositions for String Quartet
Franz Joseph Haydn was one of the preeminent composers of music's Classical period and also one of the best jokesters in the history of music. In this lesson, we'll focus on two music genres in which Haydn stood out: symphony and string quartet.
9. Beethoven: Symphonies & Shift from Classical to Romantic
It's not every day that a musician comes along and changes the world's perception of music, but that's just what Ludwig van Beethoven did. In this lesson, we'll explore how his nine symphonies helped inspire the intense 19th-century musical style called Romanticism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Humanities: Help and Review course
- Literary Terms & Techniques: Help and Review
- Literary Time Periods: Help and Review
- Literature of the Middle Ages: Help and Review
- The English Renaissance: Help and Review
- Literature of the Victorian Era: Help and Review
- British Romanticism: Help and Review
- British Literature of the 20th Century: Help and Review
- Literary Modernism: Help and Review
- Romantic Poetry: Help and Review
- World Literature - Drama: Help and Review
- Poetry of the Ancient and Modern Worlds: Help and Review
- Prominent American Novelists: Help and Review
- Philosophy and Nonfiction: Help and Review
- History of Visual Art: Help and Review
- History of Architecture: Help and Review
- Basic Elements of Music: Help and Review
- Overview of Opera and Orchestral Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Medieval Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Renaissance Music: Help and Review
- Intro to the Baroque Period in Music: Help and Review
- Music's Romantic Period: Help and Review
- Music of the Modern Era: Help and Review
- Overview of Jazz Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Musical Theater and Popular Music: Help and Review
- Intro to World Music: Help and Review
- Introduction to the Performing Arts: Help and Review
- Introduction to Morality
- Moral Belief Systems
- Ancient Greek Views on Ethics
- Theories of Natural & Moral Law
- Consequentialist & Non-Consequentialist Philosophies
- Morality Within Western Religion
- Issues of Morality in Life & Death
- Moral Issues in Economic Equality & Poverty
- Philosophical Theory & the Justice System
- Moral Issues in Peacetime & War
- Human Rights Ethics
- Moral Issues in Relationships & Sexuality
- Biomedical Ethics
- Morality in Business
- Environmental Ethics