About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning about the gods and creatures of mythology will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about these mythological characters. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in their learning of mythological gods and creatures
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning mythology (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Mythological Gods & Creatures chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Mythological Gods & Creatures chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any world culture question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about mythological gods and creatures for a standard mythology course. Topics covered include:
- Sea creatures of mythology
- Irish mythological figures
- Characters and stories of Korean mythology
- Humanoid creatures of mythology
- Creatures of Egyptian and Indian mythology
- African and Native American mythology
- Fire creatures in mythology
- Malevolent mythological creatures
- Russian and Slavic mythology
- Mexican and American mythological figures
- The characters and stories of South American mythology
1. Mythological Sea Creatures
Throughout world mythologies, people tell stories of fantastical creatures that inhabit the seas. In this lesson, we'll explore some of those myths and see what they meant to ancient people as well as what they mean to people today.
2. Irish & Celtic Mythological Creatures
If asked about the magical creatures of Irish mythology, many would first imagine the impish Leprechaun. This lesson looks at the Leprechaun and goes deeper to examine a number of faeries, spirits and creatures related to Irish legend.
3. Gods in Irish & Celtic Mythology
A great god represented with a club and a cauldron is a famous image in ancient Irish art. This figure is the Dagda, the ~'Good God~' of Irish mythology. This lesson looks at the Dagda and other gods of the ancient Irish people.
4. Korean Mythological Creatures
In this lesson, we will explore some of the more popular creatures found in Korean mythology, along with descriptions and origin stories associated with them.
5. Korean Mythological Gods & Stories
In this lesson, you will get an overview of some of the main gods and goddesses found in Korean mythology. You will also see some of the myths in which these gods and goddesses are involved. Then you can test your knowledge with a quiz!
6. Mythological Humanoid Creatures
In every mythological system, there are creatures with humanlike appearances. In this lesson we'll look at these creatures and see what they meant to various world cultures.
7. Egyptian Mythological Creatures
Ancient Egyptians, like most cultures, believed some incredible magical creatures inhabited their world. In this lesson, we'll examine some of these creatures and see what they meant to the Egyptian civilization.
8. Indian Mythological Creatures
India has a complex mythology, one which has a special place for mythological creatures. In this lesson we'll talk about mythological creatures in India and see what they reflect about ancient Indian beliefs.
9. Gods & Stories from Indian Mythology
Have you ever wondered about the 330 million gods of Hinduism? This lesson will discuss a sampling of some of the most popular of these gods and their stories, which are an influential part of Indian mythology.
10. Female Mythological Creatures
This lesson will teach you about female creatures in mythology. You'll be taken through Greek, Irish, and Norse myths and learn about different female spirits, monsters, and other entities.
11. African Mythological Creatures
The continent of Africa is filled with colorful myths about strange creatures. In this lesson, you'll be introduced to a variety of mythological creatures as we explore African mythology region by region.
12. Gods & Stories from West African Mythology
In this lesson, you will become familiar with some of the more popular figures in the pantheon of Yoruba mythology. This lesson will also cover the lasting influence these figures have today in the African Diaspora religion of Santeria.
13. Mythological Fire Creatures
In this lesson, we will discuss various creatures in world mythology that are associated with fire. We will explore some notable myths that tell of their origins, appearance, and adventures.
14. Creatures in Native American Mythology
Massive ice giants, thunderous birds and sneaky dwarfs are just a few of the many creatures found in Native American mythology. This lesson takes a close look at three mythical creatures: the Wendigo, the Thunderbird and the Little People.
15. Evil Mythological Creatures
Evil creatures in Greek and Roman mythology come in various forms, including mischievous gods, chaos-causing women, and strange animals. This lesson will examine some of the most well-known evil creatures and discuss their meaning.
16. Russian & Slavic Mythological Creatures
Russian mythology is an amazing blend of pagan and Christian traditions mixing over centuries. In this lesson we're going to look at some Russian mythological creatures and see what they tell us about Russia.
17. Mexican Mythological Creatures
You will be introduced to creatures found in the mythologies of the Mayan and Aztec people. Some of the myths surrounding these creatures will also be explored.
18. American Mythological Creatures
Throughout history, there have been stories of scary and strange creatures roaming the Earth. The United States was certainly no stranger to these stories. Let's look a few of the most prominent ones.
19. South American Mythology: Gods, Creatures & Stories
This lesson will explore the major gods and goddesses of the Inca culture, which was the primary mythical tradition in South America, spanning the Andes, Bolivia, Chile, Columbia, and Peru. Some of the most important stories in association with these deities will also be retold.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Mythology Study Guide course
- Mythology Study Guide: Understanding Myths
- Mythology Study Guide: Greek Gods & Heroes
- Mythology Study Guide: Greek Goddesses & Heroines
- Mythology Study Guide: The Trojan War, The Iliad & The Odyssey
- Mythology Study Guide: Greek Tragedy
- Mythology Study Guide: Roman Gods, Goddesses & Heroes
- Mythology Study Guide: Norse Gods, Goddesses & Stories