About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering Roman gods, goddesses and heroes material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about these mythical characters. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the gods, goddesses and heroes in Roman mythology
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning mythology (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Mythology Study Guide: Roman Gods, Goddesses & Heroes chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Mythology Study Guide: Roman Gods, Goddesses & Heroes chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any mythology question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Roman gods, goddesses and heroes for a standard mythology course. Topics covered include:
- Origins of the Roman god Jupiter
- An overview of the Roman gods Pluto, Neptune, Mercury and Mars
- The Twelve Labors of Hercules and other myths
- Myths regarding Juno and Minerva in Roman society
- Mythology surrounding Dianna the Huntress
- The love triangle between the goddess Venus and the gods Vulcan and Mars
- Significance of Ceres
1. Jupiter, Roman God: Facts & Myths
In this lesson, we explore the myths and origins of the most powerful of all Roman gods, Jupiter, and the interesting Roman culture that developed around the god.
2. Roman God Pluto of the Underworld: Facts & Overview
This lesson will be about Pluto, the god of wealth, fertility, and the underworld. His transformation from Dis Pater to Pluto and the influence of both Roman and Greek mythology will also be discussed.
3. Roman God Neptune: Facts & Mythology
In this lesson, you'll explore the mythology of the Roman god Neptune, study the development of this deity in Roman culture, and test your understanding of Roman history and religion.
4. The Roman God Mercury: Facts & Symbol
Explore the mythology and worship of the Roman god Mercury and test your understanding about ancient Roman culture, religion, and life in the colonies.
5. The Roman God Mars: Facts & Mythology
In this lesson, we will learn about the Roman god, Mars. Together, we'll take a closer look at his history, the myths, and his legacy. We'll also see how Mars was revered in sacrifice, art, and festivals.
6. Who was Hercules? - Myths & Overview
During this lesson, we will learn who Hercules was and take a closer look at his history and legacy as well as the myths surrounding him. Let's look closely at the Twelve Labors of Hercules and the ways in which the myths intertwine with one another.
7. Juno, Roman Goddess of Marriage: Importance & Mythology
This lesson will discuss the goddess Juno, an important deity in the Roman pantheon, presiding over marriage and many other aspects of theological life. She is one of the most complex gods in the whole of Greco-Roman mythology.
8. The Roman Goddess Minerva: Importance & Mythology
Roman deities were often influenced by other civilizations, but were in the end uniquely Roman. In this lesson we'll discuss the mythology surrounding the Roman goddess Minerva.
9. Diana the Huntress, Roman Goddess: Importance & Mythology
Diana was one of the major figures of Roman mythology. In this lesson, we will look at her often contradictory roles in Roman mythology and explore how these roles impacted Roman society.
10. Venus, Roman Goddess of Love: Importance & Mythology
Venus was the goddess of love, but why was she so important to the Romans? In this lesson, we'll look at both her mythology and role in Roman society and see how her mythology defined Rome.
11. Ceres, Roman Goddess of Agriculture: Importance & Mythology
The Romans had many agricultural deities, but none was as important to them as Ceres. In this lesson, we'll explore the mythology surrounding Ceres and see just what she meant to Roman life.
12. Roman Mythological Creatures
In this lesson, you will learn about some of the more well-known creatures from Roman mythology. In certain cases, you will see how the Roman version of a mythological creature differs from its Greek counterpart.
13. Mythological Roman Monsters
Cyclops, the dreaded Gorgon, the Minotaur - all of these monstrous creatures bedeviled the lives of famous heroes from Classic Mythology. In this lesson, we look at several of these monsters and examine their importance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Mythology Study Guide course
- Mythology Study Guide: Understanding Myths
- Mythology Study Guide: Greek Gods & Heroes
- Mythology Study Guide: Greek Goddesses & Heroines
- Mythology Study Guide: The Trojan War, The Iliad & The Odyssey
- Mythology Study Guide: Greek Tragedy
- Mythology Study Guide: Norse Gods, Goddesses & Stories
- Mythology Study Guide: Mythological Gods & Creatures