About This Chapter
Natural Resources & Hazards - Chapter Summary
Engaging lessons in this chapter ensure you have a quality understanding of a variety of topics related to natural resources and hazards, including nuclear fuels, Earth's materials, oil and natural reserves, and environmental sustainability. Study these and other topics with help from top instructors. In no time, you will be able to do the following:
- Differentiate between renewable and non-renewable resources
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of fossil fuels
- Share pros and cons of solar energy and biomass for renewable energy
- Provide a description of the extraction and processing of minerals and the environmental impacts of mineral use
- Exhibit knowledge of environmental aspects of metal extraction
- List and describe human behaviors that threaten environmental sustainability
- Identify and discuss environmental influences on human settlements and activities
Don't let a busy schedule impact your ability to study this chapter. Around-the-clock lesson access ensures you're able to refresh your knowledge of natural resources and hazards anytime your schedule permits. If you're away from a computer and find you have time to study, simply hop on your smartphone or tablet to explore the lessons. When ready, assess your comprehension of this chapter by taking lesson quizzes and an exam.
1. Renewable & Non-Renewable Resources: Definition & Differences
We use a variety of Earth's resources, but not all of them will be around forever. This lesson explains the difference between resources that can be regenerated for our use and those that are gone after they are used once.
2. What Are Fossil Fuels? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
Fossil fuels are sources of energy that have developed within the earth over millions of years. Because fossil fuels - oil, natural gas, and coal - take so long to form, they are considered nonrenewable. Learn more about these fuels, including the pros and cons of using them.
3. Nuclear Fuels: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Nuclear fuel is what is used in nuclear reactors to generate electricity. In this lesson, we will explore more on what nuclear fuel is, characteristics of it and investigate examples of different nuclear fuels.
4. What is Solar Energy? - Definition, Pros & Cons
Learn about solar energy and how charged particles from the sun travel to Earth to provide heat and light. Explore solar energy as a direct and indirect energy source and examine the pros and cons of harvesting solar energy for other uses.
5. Biomass for Renewable Energy: Pros and Cons
Biomass is organic material that can be used to generate heat, electricity, and even fuel. In this lesson, you will learn about the advantages of this abundant and renewable energy source as well as the disadvantages.
6. Earth's Materials: Minerals, Rocks, Soil & Water
Although the earth is a very complex system, there are only four main components of Earth that are the building blocks of life. These components are referred to as Earth's materials and include minerals, rocks, soil and water.
7. Extraction and Processing of Minerals & the Environmental Impacts of Mineral Use
In this lesson, you will learn about the different methods used to extract minerals from the ground and gain an understanding about how different types of mining affect the environment.
8. Oil and Natural Gas Reserves: Availability, Extraction and Use
Oil and natural gas reserves are found underground and must be extracted using a drilling method. In this lesson you will learn about the many uses of oil and natural gas, the availability of these valuable resources and how they are extracted.
9. Environmental Aspects of Metal Extraction
Whether you realize it or not, metal is an important part of your life. This lesson will examine the pros and cons of recycling metal vs. extracting it and then will look at the pros and cons of two types of metal extraction techniques.
10. Environmental Sustainability: Definition and Application
Environmental sustainability allows for the needs of man to be met without jeopardizing the ability of future generations to meet their needs. Learn applications of environmental sustainability, including sustainable agriculture, forestry and energy.
11. Human Behaviors that Threaten Environmental Sustainability
The environment has a remarkable ability to sustain itself. However, human behaviors disrupt the natural environment and threaten environmental sustainability. Learn how population growth, depletion of resources, and pollution threaten nature.
12. What are Natural Disasters? - Definition & Types
Watch this video to learn about the various kinds of natural disasters that can occur in the world. Each can be quite powerful and cause severe damage to the environment and the people who live there.
13. Environmental Influences on Human Settlements & Activities
After watching this video, you will be able to explain the environmental reasons why humans settled where they did, both historically and more recently. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Types of Energy & Energy Transfers
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Energy Transfer & Climate Change
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards