About This Chapter
Natural Selection - Chapter Summary
These lessons will strengthen your understanding of natural selection. You will be presented with examples of this phenomenon to help strengthen your grasp of how it impacts living things. This chapter will specifically explain the following:
- Natural selection and the ability to adapt
- Different forms of natural selection
- Reasons natural selection affects the phenotype
The video lessons average 5-10 minutes in length, and each has a short quiz at the end to assess your understanding of the lesson you just watched. You can review the lesson material by referring to the transcript or by using the keyword-based timeline tool to go right to what you want to replay. Submit any questions you have directly to the instructor.
1. Natural Selection & Adaptation: Definition, Theory & Examples
How does natural selection help shape the amazing types of animals we witness around us? In this lesson, we'll explore adaptations and what they can tell us about a species' past evolution.
2. Natural Selection: Definition, Types & Examples
We'll take a look at the types of natural selection that can occur. From flying hamsters to moths, you'll start to grasp the different paths organisms can take as they respond to their changing environments over time.
3. Why Natural Selection Acts on Phenotype, Not Genotype
Evolution works through the mechanism of natural selection. This mechanism influences the genetic make-up of populations, acting on the population's physical traits. In this lesson, we'll explore examples of why this is.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio State Test - Biology: Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Mathematical Reasoning
- Structure & Function of Cells
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Cellular Processes
- How Enzymes Work
- Cellular Genetics
- Basics of Gene Mutations
- Genetics and Principles of Heredity
- DNA Models & Technology
- The Origin and History of Life On Earth
- The Theory of Evolution
- Population Evolution
- Evolution of Life on Earth
- Speciation & Speciation Barriers
- Diversity & Interdependence of Life
- Environmental Ecology
- Ohio State Test - Biology Flashcards