About This Chapter
Negative Numbers - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, instructors refresh your memory of negative numbers. The video lessons review introductory concepts involving negative numbers and also cover how to perform math operations with them. Once you've studied the chapter's lessons, you should be able to:
- Put negative numbers in order from smallest to greatest
- Add and subtract negative numbers
- Multiply and divide negative numbers
- Solve problems involving exponents with negative bases
To help you retain the concepts discussed in this math chapter, we provide many tools. Our video lessons, developed by professional instructors, are short, entertaining and full of example problems with explanations. You can also study the transcripts included with each lesson, which highlight important terms. All of our lessons come with a multiple-choice quiz that you can use to gauge your understanding of the material.
1. Introduction to Negative Numbers
Watch this video lesson to see how negative numbers appear on the number line. Learn how they are ordered and how you can easily order a set of negative numbers that are given to you.
2. Adding & Subtracting Negative Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to add and subtract negative numbers with ease. Learn what you need to watch for and what will make your job easier.
3. Multiplying & Dividing Negative Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to multiply and divide negative numbers with ease. Learn what to watch for and how to handle the negative signs so that you get the right answer every time.
4. Exponents with Negative Bases
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use exponents to help you multiply a string of negative numbers. Learn what kinds of negative numbers you can do this with and to write it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Study Guide course
- Computation with Integers
- Absolute Value
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Proportions, Ratios & Averages
- Simplifying Algebraic Fractions
- Rational Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Overview of Inequalities
- Systems of Equations & Inequalities
- Algebraic Word Problems
- Fundamental Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Distribution
- Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- Writing & Solving Multi-Step Equations
- Probability, Chance & Fundamental Counting Techniques
- Interpreting Visual Displays of Data
- Basic Geometry Calculations
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Coordinate & Transformational Geometry
- Accuplacer Elementary Algebra Flashcards