About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs helping learning or mastering nervous system physiology material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about nervous system function. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding nervous system physiology
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning neuroscience (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about nervous system functions
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra neuroscience learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Nervous System Functions chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Nervous System Functions chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any neurophysiology question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a nervous system functions unit of a standard neuroanatomy course. Topics covered include:
- Overview of the nervous system and review of neuroanatomy
- Fundamental functions of the nervous system
- Review of the structure and function of the central and peripheral nervous systems
- Division of labor between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems
1. Nervous System Overview: Central & Peripheral
What happens in your nervous system when you react to stimuli? Did you know that the brain is sometimes uninvolved with reflexes? Find out the answer to these questions, and more, in this lesson on the human nervous system.
2. Functions of the Nervous System
In this lesson, we'll watch Timmy as he plays in his backyard. Watch what happens when he tries to catch a butterfly, hears a mean dog bark, and scrapes his knee. All of Timmy's reactions are tied to his nervous system. For a full explanation of what goes on in the human nervous system, check out the video!
3. The Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems
Did you know that hammerhead sharks and platypuses share a special type of sensory neuron that humans and most other animals don't have? In this lesson, you'll find out what that sensory neuron and a whole lot of others can do. You'll also learn how the nervous system is organized and the differences between the central and peripheral nervous systems.
4. Central Nervous System: Definition, Function & Parts
The body is divided into many systems. In this lesson, you will learn about the parts that make up the nervous system and their functions to gain a better understanding of this critical system.
5. The Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Nervous Systems
In this lesson, you'll learn about two subdivisions of the autonomic nervous system - the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. Watch as a hiker, Phil, runs away from a terrifying bear and see how these systems react to the impending danger!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.