About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Nervous System Injury chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| Functions of the nervous system|
Structure and function of neurons
|What the nervous system does, sensory organs, motor neurons, thermoreceptors, autonomic nervous system, somatic nervous system|
Structure of neurons and how they work, dendrites, axons, depolarization, synapses, neurotransmitters
|Types, mechanisms and treatment of pain, nociception, congenital analgesia, glutamate, hypothalamus|
Blunt trauma, penetrating trauma, perforating trauma, hematoma, craniofacial trauma
|Wednesday||Epidural hematoma||Definition of epidural hematoma, signs, diagnostics, treatments, dura mater|
|Thursday||Spinal cord trauma||Definition of spinal cord trauma, how it affects reflexes, autonomic dysreflexia|
|Friday||Vascular abnormalities of the nervous system||Conditions that can affect the brain's vascular system including aneurysm, stroke, hemorrhagic stroke, transient ischemic attack, treatments|
1. Functions of the Nervous System
In this lesson, we'll watch Timmy as he plays in his backyard. Watch what happens when he tries to catch a butterfly, hears a mean dog bark, and scrapes his knee. All of Timmy's reactions are tied to his nervous system. For a full explanation of what goes on in the human nervous system, check out the video!
2. The Structure and Function of Neurons
In this video lesson, you'll learn about neurons, which are specialized cells in the nervous system. Check out how far neurons can send signals throughout the body and how depolarization is much like 'the wave' at a football game.
3. Pain: Types, Mechanisms, and Treatment
This lesson will cover the basics of pain. We'll discuss the different types of pain, the basic mechanism of pain, what structures are involved, and how your own body or drugs try to stop it.
4. Dangerous Injuries to the Head
This lesson will underscore the different types of traumas that can occur to your head. We will go over blunt, penetrating, perforating, and craniofacial trauma, as well as some of their unique components.
5. Epidural Hematoma: What it is and Where it Occurs
We'll go over something known as an epidural hematoma. This lesson will explain what it is, what may predispose an individual to get one, and how it is best avoided. We'll also explore the signs and symptoms, diagnostics, and treatments involved in this event.
6. The Mechanism of Spinal Cord Trauma
This lesson will go over the things that can traumatize your spinal cord, what spinal cord trauma may result in, and why that may occur. We'll also focus in on some of the specifics of spinal shock and autonomic dysreflexia.
7. Epilepsy: Causes, Types, and Treatments
This lesson will go over seizures and epilepsy. We'll define the difference, go over why it may occur, how it is diagnosed, and how some treatments work to stop the seizures that cause epilepsy.
8. Vascular Abnormalities of the Nervous System
This lesson will discuss a lot of different yet similar conditions that affect the brain's vasculature. Namely, we'll cover strokes, transient ischemic attacks, and aneurysms. We'll also discuss why they may occur, how they can be diagnosed, and how they may be treated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pathophysiology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Pathophysiology Basics Lesson Plans
- Aberrant Immune System Lesson Plans
- The Pathophysiology of Neoplasia Lesson Plans
- Skin Related Pathology Lesson Plans
- Major Nervous System Disorders Lesson Plans
- Congenital Cardiovascular Defects Lesson Plans
- Acquired Cardiovascular Abnormalities Lesson Plans
- Respiratory System Pathologies Lesson Plans
- Important Renal Anatomy Lesson Plans
- Urinary System Diseases Lesson Plans
- Gastrointestinal System Conditions Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Derangements Lesson Plans
- Anemia Lesson Plans
- Hematological Maladies Lesson Plans
- Blood Cancers Lesson Plans
- Musculoskeletal System Alternations Lesson Plans
- Reproductive System Disorders Lesson Plans
- Electrolytes, Cells & Blood Proteins Test Results Lesson Plans
- Organ Function & Health Test Results Lesson Plans