About This Chapter
NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Nonfiction - Chapter Summary
These lessons and quizzes will get you up to speed on literary nonfiction for the NES ELA test. Lessons in this chapter address the following topics:
- Definition and examples of nonfiction
- A look at nonfiction as a form of literature
- Books of narrative nonfiction
- Examples of nonfiction novels
You'll work through short lessons to learn the essentials of literary nonfiction. Review the lessons as many times as you'd like until you're confident you understand the subject. Test what you know with practice quizzes and a chapter exam.
NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Nonfiction Objectives
This chapter prepares you for questions about nonfiction in the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature subarea of the NES ELA exam. This subarea accounts for approximately 23% of the total test score. You'll need to know the characteristics and different forms of literary nonfiction, as well as the literary devices and structural elements used in the genre.
In some states, the NES test is used as part of the certification process for prospective English teachers. The test consists of 150 multiple-choice questions on reading, literature, and written, oral and visual communication. You'll have three hours to answer the test questions, which are delivered electronically.
1. What Is Nonfiction? - Definition & Examples
There are a wide variety of genres of literature, but most can be separated into two categories. Watch this video lesson to learn about one of those categories: nonfiction.
2. Non-Fiction as Literary Form: Definition and Examples
Although non-fiction might seem fairly straightforward, there are quite a few different genres within non-fiction that are easy to confuse. With this in mind, we'll consider the similarities and differences between biographies, autobiographies and memoirs, essays, and journalism.
3. Narrative Nonfiction: Definition & Books
A lot of the nonfiction you've read may not have been for pleasure, so you might not think that factual works can be any fun. You can dispel that myth in this lesson, where you'll be introduced to the entertaining yet informative genre of narrative nonfiction and get to see a few popular examples.
4. Nonfiction Novel: Definition & Examples
Discover the genre that captures the drama of the novel, only with true life facts. This lesson describes the nonfiction literary genre, as well as genre techniques and famous examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES English Language Art (301): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the NES Test
- NES ELA: Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings
- NES ELA: Strategies for Acquiring New Vocabulary
- NES ELA: Influences on the English Language
- NES ELA: Figures of Speech & Meaning
- NES ELA: Reading & Comprehension Strategies
- NES ELA: Organization of Written Works
- NES ELA: Climax & Plot in Written Works
- NES ELA: Themes in Written Works
- NES ELA: Points of View in Literature
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Informational Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Persuasive Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Technical & Functional Texts
- NES ELA: Genres in Literature
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Fiction
- NES ELA: Types of Literary Fiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Drama
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Poetry
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Prose
- NES ELA: Literature in Old English & Middle English
- NES ELA: The Renaissance in English Literature
- NES ELA: English Literature in the 17th & 18th Century
- NES ELA: Romantic Prose in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Romantic Poetry Movement
- NES ELA: Victorian Literature
- NES ELA: Turn-of-the-Century Literature
- NES ELA: Modernist Authors in English Literature
- NES ELA: Nonfiction in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Oral Tradition
- NES ELA: Noun & Verb Usage in the English Language
- NES ELA: Phrases & Clauses in English
- NES ELA: Types of Sentences in English
- NES ELA: Modifiers in the English Language
- NES ELA: Grammar Conventions
- NES ELA: Comma Rules
- NES ELA: Spelling Rules
- NES ELA: Precision & Clarity in Writing
- NES ELA: Effective Composition Writing
- NES ELA: The Writing Process
- NES ELA: Research Writing
- NES ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Analytical Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- NES ELA: Public Speaking Strategies
- NES ELA: Viewing & Presenting Images