About This Chapter
NES ELA: Influences on the English Language - Chapter Summary
This chapter explores influences on the English language to help you prepare for the NES English Language Arts assessment. After reviewing the lessons, you will be prepared for the following:
- Defining the word 'language'
- Understanding the influences on and development of the English language
- Examining how the English language is impacted by technology and culture
The instructors in the videos provide the definitions, historical information and contemporary insights you need to understand influences on the English language. You can watch the lessons in any sequence and as often as needed to accommodate your studying needs.
NES ELA: Influences on the English Language Objectives
The NES English Language Arts assessment is required in some states for educators interested in teaching the subject at the secondary level. The test consists of 150 multiple-choice questions, is taken on computer and lasts three hours. Earning a passing score of 220 or higher (236 or higher in Oregon) helps you secure or enhance teacher certification in your state.
The topics covered in this Influences on the English Language chapter are found in the Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension and Reading Various Text Forms content domain, which constitutes approximately 23% of the total exam. Get prepared to answer questions in this section by reviewing full video transcripts with helpful vocabulary words. After reviewing the lessons, take self-assessment quizzes to test your comprehension of the materials.
1. What Is Language?
Have you ever wondered how human language is constructed to form meaning? Why is language more complex than animal calls? In this lesson, we'll take a look at the basic units language and learn how meaning is formed.
2. History of the English Language: Influences & Development
Ever wonder how English came to be the language it is today? This video lesson gives a brief account of how English has transformed during the last few thousand years of history.
3. Impact of Technology & Culture on the English Language
Can a language evolve so dramatically that it becomes almost unrecognizable? This lesson discusses how technological and cultural shifts have shaped the English language over time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES English Language Art (301): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the NES Test
- NES ELA: Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings
- NES ELA: Strategies for Acquiring New Vocabulary
- NES ELA: Figures of Speech & Meaning
- NES ELA: Reading & Comprehension Strategies
- NES ELA: Organization of Written Works
- NES ELA: Climax & Plot in Written Works
- NES ELA: Themes in Written Works
- NES ELA: Points of View in Literature
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Informational Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Persuasive Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Technical & Functional Texts
- NES ELA: Genres in Literature
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Nonfiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Fiction
- NES ELA: Types of Literary Fiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Drama
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Poetry
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Prose
- NES ELA: Literature in Old English & Middle English
- NES ELA: The Renaissance in English Literature
- NES ELA: English Literature in the 17th & 18th Century
- NES ELA: Romantic Prose in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Romantic Poetry Movement
- NES ELA: Victorian Literature
- NES ELA: Turn-of-the-Century Literature
- NES ELA: Modernist Authors in English Literature
- NES ELA: Nonfiction in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Oral Tradition
- NES ELA: Noun & Verb Usage in the English Language
- NES ELA: Phrases & Clauses in English
- NES ELA: Types of Sentences in English
- NES ELA: Modifiers in the English Language
- NES ELA: Grammar Conventions
- NES ELA: Comma Rules
- NES ELA: Spelling Rules
- NES ELA: Precision & Clarity in Writing
- NES ELA: Effective Composition Writing
- NES ELA: The Writing Process
- NES ELA: Research Writing
- NES ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Analytical Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- NES ELA: Public Speaking Strategies
- NES ELA: Viewing & Presenting Images