About This Chapter
NES ELA: Nonfiction in English Literature - Chapter Summary
Students will be learning nonfiction as a part of your language arts curriculum, and the NES ELA exam will be screening your knowledge of nonfiction in English literature as a part of the test. The video lessons contained in this review course will grant you a thorough study session and ensure you are prepared to take the NES ELA exam when your test day comes. The topics covered in this chapter will include:
- Mary Wollstonecraft
- William Godwin
- Philip Sidney
- John Ruskin
- John Stuart Mill
The timeline provided below the video lessons gives you easy access to any section you want to quickly jump to in the chapter without losing your progress. Bolded terms in the Nonfiction in English Literature chapter can also be found for fast reference. The self-assessment quizzes are a great warm-up to get you ready for the day you take the actual NES ELA exam.
NES ELA: Nonfiction in English Literature Objectives
The NES English Language Arts exam is your path to teaching English and Language Arts at a middle school level. The section of the exam that incorporates nonfiction in English literature is covered in the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature section, which makes up about twenty-three percent of the exam. This section and the four others will consist entirely of multiple-choice questions.
1. Mary Wollstonecraft and William Godwin: Politics and Essays
Meet THE power couple of the 1790s: Mary Wollstonecraft and William Godwin. Watch how Wollstonecraft inspires the feminist movement, and thrill to Godwin's early anarchic ways! Plus: how does one betray the other, even after death?
2. Philip Sidney and the Defense of Poesy
Sir Philip Sidney: courtier, soldier, governor, poet and critic. Learn all about this multifaceted Elizabethan celebrity and his massive effect on the worlds of poetry and literary scholarship.
3. John Ruskin: Victorian Thought and Criticism
From his beginnings as a poet and painter to his status as one of Victorian England's foremost social critics, learn all about John Ruskin's influence on the worlds of art and economic structure.
4. John Stuart Mill: Utilitarianism, Quotes and Theory
Join us for this analysis of nineteenth century British philosopher John Stuart Mill, whose radical political and ethical ideas based in utilitarianism have had a profound effect in the final frontier and on our current political landscape.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES English Language Arts (301): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES ELA: Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings
- NES ELA: Strategies for Acquiring New Vocabulary
- NES ELA: Figures of Speech & Meaning
- NES ELA: Reading & Comprehension Strategies
- NES ELA: Organization of Written Works
- NES ELA: Climax & Plot in Written Works
- NES ELA: Themes in Written Works
- NES ELA: Points of View in Literature
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Informational Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Persuasive Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Technical & Functional Texts
- NES ELA: Genres in Literature
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Nonfiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Fiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Drama
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Poetry
- NES ELA: The Renaissance in English Literature
- NES ELA: English Literature in the 17th & 18th Century
- NES ELA: Romantic Prose in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Romantic Poetry Movement
- NES ELA: Victorian Literature
- NES ELA: Turn-of-the-Century Literature
- NES ELA: Modernist Authors in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Oral Tradition
- NES ELA: Types of Sentences in English
- NES ELA: Grammar Conventions
- NES ELA: Spelling Rules
- NES ELA: Precision & Clarity in Writing
- NES ELA: Effective Composition Writing
- NES ELA: The Writing Process
- NES ELA: Research Writing
- NES ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Analytical Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- NES ELA: Viewing & Presenting Images
- NES English Language Arts Flashcards