About This Chapter
NES ELA: Strategies for Acquiring New Vocabulary - Chapter Summary
Review strategies for vocabulary acquisition with the study resources in this chapter. These lessons will help you prepare for the NES ELA exam, covering topics such as:
- Strategies for facilitating vocabulary acquisition
- Ways to teach vocabulary words
- Teaching vocabulary using word context
Our expert instructors explain these topics in a way that is easy to understand. Review the lessons as many times as you'd like, or use the timeline tags to skip directly to the points you want to cover. Test your understanding and get an idea of what to expect on the NES ELA exam with the multiple-choice practice questions.
NES ELA: Strategies for Acquiring New Vocabulary Objectives
These chapter resources will prepare you for questions on vocabulary development in the Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension and Reading Various Text Forms subarea of the exam, which makes up approximately 23% of the total test score. You'll need to show an understanding of how word structures, syntactic rules and contextual analysis can be used to identify the meaning of words, as well as be able to connect unfamiliar words with familiar words, phrases and concepts.
The NES ELA exam is part of the licensure requirements for English teachers in some states. The exam consists of 150 multiple-choice questions, which you'll have three hours to answer. You'll take the exam on a computer at a designated testing site.
1. Strategies for Acquiring and Using New Vocabulary
In this lesson, we will discuss methods for growing our vocabulary and putting the new words into practice. We will also learn how to discover the meaning of words based on the context, the surrounding information.
2. How to Teach Vocabulary Words
Without a rich vocabulary, students have little foundation to understand what they are reading. This lesson highlights vocabulary strategies that can be used to develop student vocabulary skills in elementary, middle and high school.
3. Teaching Vocabulary in Context
Learning vocabulary in context helps people make connections for better comprehension. We'll look at a variety of learning strategies that can help students understand and incorporate new words effectively. After the lesson, test your new knowledge with our quiz questions!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES English Language Arts (301): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES ELA: Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings
- NES ELA: Figures of Speech & Meaning
- NES ELA: Reading & Comprehension Strategies
- NES ELA: Organization of Written Works
- NES ELA: Climax & Plot in Written Works
- NES ELA: Themes in Written Works
- NES ELA: Points of View in Literature
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Informational Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Persuasive Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Technical & Functional Texts
- NES ELA: Genres in Literature
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Nonfiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Fiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Drama
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Poetry
- NES ELA: The Renaissance in English Literature
- NES ELA: English Literature in the 17th & 18th Century
- NES ELA: Romantic Prose in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Romantic Poetry Movement
- NES ELA: Victorian Literature
- NES ELA: Turn-of-the-Century Literature
- NES ELA: Modernist Authors in English Literature
- NES ELA: Nonfiction in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Oral Tradition
- NES ELA: Types of Sentences in English
- NES ELA: Grammar Conventions
- NES ELA: Spelling Rules
- NES ELA: Precision & Clarity in Writing
- NES ELA: Effective Composition Writing
- NES ELA: The Writing Process
- NES ELA: Research Writing
- NES ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Analytical Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- NES ELA: Viewing & Presenting Images
- NES English Language Arts Flashcards