About This Chapter
NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Technical & Functional Texts - Chapter Summary
Get ready for the NES ELA exam with these study tools on technical and functional texts. You'll cover different types of technical documents and strategies for understanding and interpreting them. In this chapter, you'll find lessons on the following types of texts:
- Analytical and informational reports
- Unilateral contracts
- Uniform commercial code warranties
- Scientific presentations
- Graphs, charts and tables of scientific data
Use the lessons to quickly review topics you may have forgotten or missed. Each lesson teaches the essential information you'll need to know for the NES ELA in less than ten minutes. Since all of our lessons can be accessed on any type of device, you'll be able to study wherever it's convenient for you!
NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Technical & Functional Texts Objectives
Passing the NES ELA exam is part of the certification requirements for English teachers in some states. You'll need to answer 150 multiple-choice questions delivered electronically. Use these chapter resources to prepare for questions in the Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension and Reading Various Text Forms subarea of the exam, which makes up approximately 23% of the total score.
To complete the test objectives for technical and functional texts, you'll need to know the characteristics of different types of technical and functional texts and be able to appropriately use the information to develop skills, gain knowledge, confirm facts and perform certain tasks. You'll also need to be able to interpret graphic features commonly used in technical texts, such as charts, legends and diagrams.
1. Technical Text: Definition & Examples
Don't worry; we don't have to get too technical to figure out just what a technical text really is. See how easy they can be to deal with in this lesson, where you'll see technical texts defined, as well as a few examples!
2. Types of Technical Documents
There are many different types of technical documents. Which technical document you choose to create depends on your audience and your purpose. This video will explain the three main categories of technical documents and provide examples for each.
3. Informational and Analytical Reports: Definition and Uses
In this lesson, you will learn the difference between informational and analytical reporting and their specific uses in the business world in order to help make decisions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES English Language Arts (301): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES ELA: Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings
- NES ELA: Strategies for Acquiring New Vocabulary
- NES ELA: Figures of Speech & Meaning
- NES ELA: Reading & Comprehension Strategies
- NES ELA: Organization of Written Works
- NES ELA: Climax & Plot in Written Works
- NES ELA: Themes in Written Works
- NES ELA: Points of View in Literature
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Informational Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Persuasive Texts
- NES ELA: Genres in Literature
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Nonfiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Fiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Drama
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Poetry
- NES ELA: The Renaissance in English Literature
- NES ELA: English Literature in the 17th & 18th Century
- NES ELA: Romantic Prose in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Romantic Poetry Movement
- NES ELA: Victorian Literature
- NES ELA: Turn-of-the-Century Literature
- NES ELA: Modernist Authors in English Literature
- NES ELA: Nonfiction in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Oral Tradition
- NES ELA: Types of Sentences in English
- NES ELA: Grammar Conventions
- NES ELA: Spelling Rules
- NES ELA: Precision & Clarity in Writing
- NES ELA: Effective Composition Writing
- NES ELA: The Writing Process
- NES ELA: Research Writing
- NES ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Analytical Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- NES ELA: Viewing & Presenting Images
- NES English Language Arts Flashcards