About This Chapter
NES ELA: Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to review how to use word structure and context to determine meaning. You'll also explore the development of the English language, so you can feel more confident in your ability to answer related questions on the NES ELA exam. Once you complete this chapter you should be able to:
- Construct meaning using context clues, prior knowledge and word structure
- Define connotation and denotation
- Utilize affixes and roots to find meaning of words
- Use reference materials for vocabulary
- Discuss the impact of technology and culture on the English language
The brief video lessons and their written transcripts give you two ways to cover the same material. Review the video topic-by-topic with the interactive timeline feature and take the lesson quizzes and practice exams to get ready for test day.
1. Impact of Technology & Culture on the English Language
Can a language evolve so dramatically that it becomes almost unrecognizable? This lesson discusses how technological and cultural shifts have shaped the English language over time.
2. History of the English Language: Influences & Development
Ever wonder how English came to be the language it is today? This video lesson gives a brief account of how English has transformed during the last few thousand years of history.
3. Constructing Meaning with Context Clues, Prior Knowledge & Word Structure
In this lesson, you will learn how readers use prior knowledge, context clues and word structure to aid their understanding of what they read. Explore these strategies through examples from literature and everyday life.
4. What Are Connotation and Denotation? - Definitions & Examples
Discover the difference between a word's denotation and its connotation in this lesson. Explore how authors use both denotation and connotation to add layers of meaning to their work with some literary examples.
5. Using Affixes and Roots to Find the Meaning of Words
In this lesson, we will learn how to understand the meaning of words by breaking them down into the parts that form them. This requires knowledge of the Greek and Latin roots, and affixes, which are parts we add to roots to make new words.
6. Using Reference Materials for Vocabulary
In this lesson, we will explore various reference materials that will allow you to increase your vocabulary. Common reference materials include dictionaries, glossaries, and thesauruses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES English Language Arts (301): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES ELA: Strategies for Acquiring New Vocabulary
- NES ELA: Figures of Speech & Meaning
- NES ELA: Reading & Comprehension Strategies
- NES ELA: Organization of Written Works
- NES ELA: Climax & Plot in Written Works
- NES ELA: Themes in Written Works
- NES ELA: Points of View in Literature
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Informational Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Persuasive Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Technical & Functional Texts
- NES ELA: Genres in Literature
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Nonfiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Fiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Drama
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Poetry
- NES ELA: The Renaissance in English Literature
- NES ELA: English Literature in the 17th & 18th Century
- NES ELA: Romantic Prose in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Romantic Poetry Movement
- NES ELA: Victorian Literature
- NES ELA: Turn-of-the-Century Literature
- NES ELA: Modernist Authors in English Literature
- NES ELA: Nonfiction in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Oral Tradition
- NES ELA: Types of Sentences in English
- NES ELA: Grammar Conventions
- NES ELA: Spelling Rules
- NES ELA: Precision & Clarity in Writing
- NES ELA: Effective Composition Writing
- NES ELA: The Writing Process
- NES ELA: Research Writing
- NES ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Analytical Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- NES ELA: Viewing & Presenting Images
- NES English Language Arts Flashcards