Ch 7: NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Adjectives & Adverbs

About This Chapter

Brush up on your understanding of adjectives and adverbs with the lessons and quizzes in this chapter. These resources will prepare you for the National Evaluation Series (NES) Essential Academic Skills Writing test.

NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Adjectives & Adverbs - Chapter Summary

Get ready for the NES Writing exam with this chapter on adjectives and adverbs. These lessons will help you to correctly answer questions on Standard English usage as well as assisting you with the written response portion of the exam. You'll cover the following topics in these lessons:

  • Definition of adjectives and adverbs
  • Differentiating between adverbs and adjectives
  • Comparative form
  • Superlative form
  • Conjunctive adverbs

Our engaging video lessons bring concepts to life and make them easy to master. Review these lessons as many times as you'd like, or skip the topics you're confident of by using the timeline tags. Use the printable worksheet to test your knowledge or as a handy review tool.

NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Adjectives & Adverbs Objectives

This chapter prepares you for multiple-choice questions about conventions of Standard Written English and Sentence Formation. It will also improve the quality of your grammar usage on the written portion of the exam. The constructed-response portion of the exam asks you to compose one written response on a given topic, and accounts for 25% of your score. Multiple-choice questions make up the other 75% of the test score, with 36 questions. Depending on the state you plan to teach in, you may need to pass the NES Writing exam in order to obtain educator certification.

6 Lessons in Chapter 7: NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Adjectives & Adverbs
Test your knowledge with a 30-question chapter practice test
What are Adjectives? - Definition & Examples

1. What are Adjectives? - Definition & Examples

Adjectives are what give detail and engage the senses in our writing. This lesson defines and illustrates adjectives and descriptive detail in writing and speaking. Nouns and verbs are briefly reviewed.

What are Adverbs? - Definition & Examples

2. What are Adverbs? - Definition & Examples

In this lesson, you'll learn what adverbs are and how they can be used to make your writing more interesting. You'll also take a look at some examples of adverbs and how they work in sentences.

Comparison of Adjectives & Adverbs: Examples, Sentences & Exercises

3. Comparison of Adjectives & Adverbs: Examples, Sentences & Exercises

Adjectives and adverbs are descriptive words that allow our sentences to be much more specific and interesting than they would be without them. This lesson covers the rules for using adjectives and adverbs correctly, including those used in comparisons.

Comparative Form: Definition & Examples

4. Comparative Form: Definition & Examples

In this lesson, you'll learn what the comparative form is and how to use the comparative form to make your writing more interesting. Take a look at some examples, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.

Superlative Form: Definition & Examples

5. Superlative Form: Definition & Examples

In this lesson, you'll learn what the superlative form is, and how to use the superlative form to make your writing more interesting. Take a look at some examples, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.

Conjunctive Adverb: Examples & Overview

6. Conjunctive Adverb: Examples & Overview

In this lesson, we'll learn about the conjunctive adverb. The conjunctive adverb joins phrases or clauses together in a sentence, connects the thoughts in one part of the sentence to another part of a sentence, and shows a relationship between them.

Chapter Practice Exam
Test your knowledge of this chapter with a 30 question practice chapter exam.
Not Taken
Practice Final Exam
Test your knowledge of the entire course with a 50 question practice final exam.
Not Taken

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Support