Copyright

Ch 2: NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Comma Usage

About This Chapter

Watch video lessons and take practice quizzes to brush up on correct comma usage for the National Evaluation Series (NES) Essential Academic Skills Writing test.

NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Comma Usage - Chapter Summary

This chapter on comma usage will help you review the basic rules related to commas. Use these study tools to get ready for both questions and the written assignment in the NES Writing exam. After completing the chapter, you'll have covered the following topics:

  • Correct usage and basic rules of commas
  • Relative and restrictive clauses
  • Coordination and subordination in dependent and independent clauses
  • Comma usage in clauses and with contrasting sentence components

Our expert instructors make comma usage easy to understand in these brief lessons. Track your progress through the chapter with the personal dashboard feature, and test your understanding of lesson topics with the self-assessment quizzes.

NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Commas Objectives

The NES Writing exam is a requirement for teacher licensure in some states. The exam consists of 36 multiple-choice questions and one written response. Multiple-choice questions make up 75% of the total score, and the written response comprises the other 25%.

This chapter will help you to correctly answer questions about sentence structure and Standard Written English in the multiple-choice portion of the exam. The lessons will also assist you in the written response portion of the test, which measures your ability to correctly employ the mechanics of standard written English.

5 Lessons in Chapter 2: NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Comma Usage
Test your knowledge with a 30-question chapter practice test
Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules

1. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules

Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.

Restrictive Clause: Examples & Overview

2. Restrictive Clause: Examples & Overview

In this lesson, we will define and explore the functions of the restrictive clause. Restrictive clauses provide specific and necessary information in a sentence and clarify essential details that help improve sentence meaning.

Independent & Dependent Clauses: Subordination & Coordination

3. Independent & Dependent Clauses: Subordination & Coordination

This lesson is about independent and dependent clauses, and how they make up a sentence. Dependent clauses, like the name suggests, rely on other elements in a sentence. Independent clauses, on the other hand, can stand alone. Learn more in this lesson.

Relative Clause: Definition & Examples

4. Relative Clause: Definition & Examples

In this lesson, we will define and examine the relative clause. Relative clauses are adjective clauses. They provide more descriptive information about the subject or other nouns in the sentence, but they cannot stand alone.

Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts

5. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts

Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.

Chapter Practice Exam
Test your knowledge of this chapter with a 30 question practice chapter exam.
Not Taken
Practice Final Exam
Test your knowledge of the entire course with a 50 question practice final exam.
Not Taken

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Support