Ch 8: NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Determiners, Clauses & Phrases

About This Chapter

Use these lessons and quizzes on determiners, clauses and phrases to study for the National Evaluation Series (NES) Essential Academic Skills Writing test.

NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Determiners, Clauses & Phrases - Chapter Summary

Get ready for the NES Writing exam with informative lessons and interactive quizzes on sentence components. You'll review determiners, clauses and phrases and learn how they work in a sentence. After completing this chapter, you'll have covered the following topics:

  • Definite and indefinite articles
  • Gerunds
  • Dependent and independent clauses
  • Prepositional phrases

Use these lessons to brush up on topics you haven't covered in awhile or fill in knowledge gaps. Get an idea of the types of questions you'll be asked on the NES test with our multiple-choice practice quizzes. Instructors are here to help if you have any questions about the lesson material.

NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Determiners, Clauses & Phrases Chapter Objectives

Depending on the state you live in, you may need to pass the NES Writing exam to obtain teacher licensure. The exam lasts one hour and fifteen minutes, and consists of 36 multiple-choice questions and one written response. The exam allocates 75% of the total score to the multiple-choice section, with the remaining 25% going to the written response.

Review this chapter to prepare for multiple-choice questions about sentence formation and the conventions of Standard Written English on the exam. These resources will also help you to develop a well-written composition in the written response portion of the exam.

6 Lessons in Chapter 8: NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Determiners, Clauses & Phrases
Test your knowledge with a 30-question chapter practice test
Indefinite and Definite Articles: Definition and Examples

1. Indefinite and Definite Articles: Definition and Examples

Watch this video lesson on indefinite and definite articles. Find out when you should use which type of article and when you shouldn't use any article at all.

Gerunds: Are They Verbs? Are They Nouns?

2. Gerunds: Are They Verbs? Are They Nouns?

Take a closer look at the verbs and nouns we use in everyday language to help you understand gerunds. Watch this video lesson to learn the exact nature of gerunds and their purpose in writing.

Clause: Definition & Examples

3. Clause: Definition & Examples

In this lesson, you'll learn what a clause is and how to use different types of clauses to make your writing more interesting. Take a look at some examples to help understand the types.

What is a Dependent Clause? - Definition & Examples

4. What is a Dependent Clause? - Definition & Examples

Dependent clauses are one of the building blocks of language. Learn the different types of dependent clauses and how they differ from independent clauses and phrases.

Independent Clause: Definition & Examples

5. Independent Clause: Definition & Examples

In this lesson, you'll learn what an independent clause is and how it's different from a dependent clause. You'll also learn some of the problems that writers encounter with independent clauses and how to correct them.

What is a Prepositional Phrase? - Definition & Examples

6. What is a Prepositional Phrase? - Definition & Examples

In this lesson, we will examine the prepositional phrase, a grammatical tool that acts very much like an adjective or adverb. In other words, this type of phrase provides additional information about a noun or verb. Read on to learn how it works.

Chapter Practice Exam
Test your knowledge of this chapter with a 30 question practice chapter exam.
Not Taken
Practice Final Exam
Test your knowledge of the entire course with a 50 question practice final exam.
Not Taken

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Support