Ch 1: NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Punctuation & Capitalization

About This Chapter

This chapter uses informative video lessons to help you brush up on punctuation and capitalization rules for the National Evaluation Series (NES) Essential Academic Skills Writing test.

NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Punctuation & Capitalization - Chapter Summary

Watch video lessons and take practice quizzes to review proper use of punctuation and capitalization. These study tools are intended to help you prepare for the NES Writing exam. By the end of the chapter, you'll have covered the following topics:

  • Important punctuation rules
  • Periods, colons and semicolons
  • Commas
  • Question and exclamation marks
  • Hyphens, ellipses, brackets and quotation marks
  • Apostrophes
  • Dashes and parentheses
  • Capitalization

You'll get up to speed on punctuation and capitalization in no time with these short video lessons. Each lesson lasts less than ten minutes and comes with a full transcript. Check your understanding of the lesson topics with our interactive self-assessment quizzes.

NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Punctuation & Capitalization Objectives

These study tools will prepare you for questions about Standard Written English on the NES Writing test. They'll also help you out with the written response portion of the test, which asks you to demonstrate correct usage of both capitalization and punctuation.

The exam is part of the certification process for teachers in some states. Expect to answer 36 multiple-choice questions and create one written response. Multiple-choice questions account for 75% of the total score, with the written response making up the other 25%.

8 Lessons in Chapter 1: NES Essential Academic Skills Writing: Punctuation & Capitalization
Test your knowledge with a 30-question chapter practice test
What is Punctuation? - Rules & Signs

1. What is Punctuation? - Rules & Signs

In this lesson, we'll find out what punctuation is. We'll then learn some rules for using the most common punctuation marks as well as review sample sentences utilizing the punctuation rules.

Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods

2. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods

Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.

Question Mark: Definition & Use

3. Question Mark: Definition & Use

A question mark (?) is a form of punctuation placed at the end of a sentence. Its main purpose is to specify a query or question. In this lesson, we will take a look at when you should and should not use a question mark in your writing.

Using Hyphens, Brackets, Ellipses & Quotation Marks

4. Using Hyphens, Brackets, Ellipses & Quotation Marks

Writing not only consists of letters and words but many forms of punctuation. Watch this video lesson to learn about four types of punctuation: hyphens, brackets, ellipses, and quotation marks.

Exclamation Mark: Use & Meaning

5. Exclamation Mark: Use & Meaning

The exclamation mark (!), also called the exclamation point, is a form of punctuation that is sometimes used at the end of a single word, phrase or complete sentence. Its goal is to express an extremely strong and intense statement.

Apostrophe: Use & Examples

6. Apostrophe: Use & Examples

In this lesson, we will learn about the apostrophe and how it's useful to us. See a few examples of common apostrophe mistakes and learn how to correct them.

Parentheses and Dashes: Correct Usage

7. Parentheses and Dashes: Correct Usage

Parentheses and dashes are two different (but often confused) ways of setting off a chunk of information within a sentence - do you know how to use them correctly?

Capitalization Rules in Writing

8. Capitalization Rules in Writing

Capitalization is a very important concept in standard grammar in the written form of the English language. Watch this video lesson to learn what capitalization is and when to use it.

Chapter Practice Exam
Test your knowledge of this chapter with a 30 question practice chapter exam.
Not Taken
Practice Final Exam
Test your knowledge of the entire course with a 50 question practice final exam.
Not Taken

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Support