About This Chapter
NES General Science: The Mole Concept - Chapter Summary
This chapter is a review of the mole and how it is used to calculate the number of atoms in a sample, the volume of a sample and the mass of a sample. In these videos, our expert instructors discuss topics you may find on the National Evaluation Series (NES) General Science related to:
- Using Avogadro's number and counting atoms
- Understanding chemical reactions and balancing chemical equations
- Explaining chemical reactions and how to balance chemical equations
- Examining mole-to-mole ratios
- Using stoichiometry calculations for relative quantities of gas and mass-to-mass calculations
These lesson videos are mobile-device friendly, so you have a versatile way of studying mole concepts. In addition to watching the videos, you can read over the lesson transcripts, which identify key vocabulary in bold print. After completing these lessons, test your understanding of the material presented by taking the lesson quizzes.
1. Avogadro's Number: Using the Mole to Count Atoms
How do we move from the atomic world to the regular world? Because atoms are so tiny, how can we count and measure them? And what do chemists celebrate at 6:02 AM on October 23rd each year? In this lesson, you will be learning how Avogadro's number and the mole can answer these questions.
2. Chemical Reactions and Balancing Chemical Equations
In this lesson, you'll learn how to balance a chemical reaction equation using the conservation of matter law. You'll also learn how to write both word and formula equations, what the subscripts after a letter mean and what the numbers in front of compounds mean.
3. Mole-to-Mole Ratios and Calculations of a Chemical Equation
Learn what a mole ratio is and how to determine and write the mole ratio relating two substances in a chemical equation in this video lesson. Also, learn to make mole-to-mole calculations and solve problems involving moles of substances.
4. Stoichiometry: Calculating Relative Quantities in a Gas or Solution
In this lesson, learn about molar volume and how to set up and make stoichiometric calculations with gases. Then learn about solution stoichiometry and how to make stoichiometric calculations with solutions.
5. Mass-to-Mass Stoichiometric Calculations
Learn how to set up and make mole to mass, mass to mole and mass to mass stoichiometric calculations. Learn how the ratios of moles helps you compare and make calculations. Learn how to relate mole ratios to molar mass.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES General Science (311): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES General Science: Scientific Inquiry
- NES General Science: Science & Society
- Overview of Atoms & Atomic Theory
- Understanding States of Matter
- Chemical Formulas & Bonds
- NES General Science: Chemical Reactions
- NES General Science: Solutions & Solubility Factors
- Energy Transformations of Matter
- Overview of Force & Motion
- Mechanical & Electromagnetic Waves
- Basics of Electricity & Magnetism
- Intro to Cellular Biology
- NES General Science: Traits of Living Organisms
- Overview of Human Body Systems
- Principles of Genetics
- NES General Science: Evolution
- NES General Science: Ecosystems
- NES General Science: Rocks & Minerals
- NES General Science: Historical Geology
- Overview of Weathering & Erosion
- NES General Science: Plate Tectonics
- Intro to Earth's Hydrosphere
- Basics of the Atmosphere, Weather & Climate
- Overview of the Solar System & Universe
- NES General Science Flashcards