About This Chapter
NES Math: Complex Numbers - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to refresh your understanding of operations with complex numbers as you get ready for the NES Math test. Our brief videos and other aids for study will help you tackle questions on topics that include:
- Imaginary numbers
- Division, addition, subtraction and multiplication with complex numbers
- Methods of graphing a complex number
- The polar form of complex numbers
You can watch these videos whenever your schedule allows whether by computer, smartphone or tablet. Our instructors keep the learning lively with lots of humor and plenty of examples. Short lesson quizzes let you evaluate your learning and see where you need extra study. It's easy to jump back to a specific portion of the lesson by using the clickable links in our Timeline.
NES Math: Complex Numbers Objectives
Five states have made passing the NES Math test one of the conditions for obtaining certification to teach math at the secondary level. The test is administered by computer and consists entirely of multiple-choice questions. Our lesson quizzes and the chapter exam offer good practice opportunities for taking a test in this format.
The NES Math test's questions are divided into five sections, called content domains, and questions on complex numbers are in the Mathematical Processes and Number Sense content domain. This part of the test makes up 19% of the total score.
1. What is an Imaginary Number?
The imaginary number 'i' is the square root of -1. Although this number doesn't actually exist, pretending that it does allows us to do a bunch of crazy math that scientists use every day. Learn the basics of that number 'i' here!
2. How to Divide Complex Numbers
While adding, subtracting and multiplying complex numbers is pretty straightforward, dividing them can be pretty tricky. It comes down to the process of multiplying by the complex conjugate. Learn about what that is, and how to do it, here.
3. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Complex Numbers
Knowing that complex numbers exist is the first step. But that knowledge alone won't help you do much with them. Learn the basics of complex number addition, subtraction and multiplication here!
4. How to Graph a Complex Number on the Complex Plane
Graphing complex numbers is pretty straight forward, but it's not necessarily intuitive. Check out this lesson to learn the vocabulary and the conventions that you'll need.
5. Complex Numbers in Polar Form: Process & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert complex numbers from rectangular form to polar form easily by following the formulas you will see here. You will also learn how to find the power of a complex number.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NES Math: Fractions
- NES Math: Decimals & Percents
- NES Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NES Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NES Math: Logic
- NES Math: Reasoning
- NES Math: Vector Operations
- NES Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NES Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NES Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NES Math: Linear Equations
- NES Math: Inequalities
- NES Math: Absolute Value
- NES Math: Quadratic Equations
- NES Math: Polynomials
- NES Math: Rational Expressions
- NES Math: Radical Expressions
- NES Math: Systems of Equations
- NES Math: Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NES Math: Continuity of Functions
- NES Math: Limits
- NES Math: Rate of Change
- NES Math: Derivative Rules
- NES Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NES Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NES Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NES Math: Integration Techniques
- NES Math: Applications of Integration
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- NES Math: Properties of Triangles
- NES Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Quadrilaterals
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- NES Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NES Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NES Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NES Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NES Math: Sequences & Series
- NES Math: Graph Theory
- NES Math: Set Theory
- NES Math: Statistics Overview
- NES Math: Summarizing Data
- NES Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NES Math: Probability
- NES Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Sampling
- NES Math: Regression & Correlation
- NES Mathematics Flashcards