About This Chapter
NES Math: Conic Sections - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons offer a review of information that includes equations for parabolas, ellipses and hyperbolas. You can refresh your knowledge for the NES Math test through lessons on topics such as:
- How to use the focus and directrix of a parabola to find the equation
- Definitions and foci of ellipses and hyperbolas
- How to derive the equations of an ellipse and a hyperbola from the foci
You can watch these lessons and complete short quizzes anytime, using a computer or mobile device. Each video includes a Timeline with video links that let you jump back to specific parts of the lesson for review. For every lesson, there's a text transcript with key terms in bold type, and a sheet of quiz questions you can print and use for offline study.
NES Math: Conic Sections Chapter Objectives
Five states use the NES Math test as one of their requirements for granting certification to teach math at the secondary level. The test consists of multiple-choice questions and is computer-based. You can get experience answering questions in this format through our lesson quizzes and chapter exams, which also consist of multiple-choice questions.
The NES Math test's questions are divided by topic into portions. Questions on conic sections are in the content domain on measurement and geometry, which accounts for 19% of the exam.
1. The Focus and Directrix of a Parabola
In this lesson, we will review what a parabola is, then we will look at the formal definition of a parabola, introducing the focus and directrix of a parabola. We will look at some examples to help solidify our understanding of these concepts.
2. Finding the Equation of a Parabola from the Focus and Directrix
A parabola is the familiar shape seen in many physical applications, like the path taken by a ball thrown upwards. This lesson explores equations for the parabola and shows how they may be obtained from two quantities: the focus and the directrix.
3. Foci and the Definitions of Ellipses and Hyperbolas
In this lesson, we'll look at the definition of an ellipse and a hyperbola. We'll use the foci of each of these to define them technically and formally, and we'll look at some examples to make the definitions more understandable.
4. Derive the Equation of an Ellipse from the Foci
In this lesson, you're going to learn the definition of an ellipse and foci, the standard forms of the equation for an ellipse, and how to find such an equation when given the foci.
5. Derive the Equation of a Hyperbola from the Foci
This lesson will go over what a hyperbola is and walk through the steps of finding the equation of a hyperbola given just the foci and vertex. After learning the process, we will look at an example of finding a hyperbola equation given this information.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NES Math: Fractions
- NES Math: Decimals & Percents
- NES Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NES Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NES Math: Logic
- NES Math: Reasoning
- NES Math: Vector Operations
- NES Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NES Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NES Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NES Math: Linear Equations
- NES Math: Inequalities
- NES Math: Absolute Value
- NES Math: Quadratic Equations
- NES Math: Polynomials
- NES Math: Rational Expressions
- NES Math: Radical Expressions
- NES Math: Systems of Equations
- NES Math: Complex Numbers
- NES Math: Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NES Math: Continuity of Functions
- NES Math: Limits
- NES Math: Rate of Change
- NES Math: Derivative Rules
- NES Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NES Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NES Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NES Math: Integration Techniques
- NES Math: Applications of Integration
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- NES Math: Properties of Triangles
- NES Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Quadrilaterals
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- NES Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NES Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NES Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NES Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NES Math: Sequences & Series
- NES Math: Graph Theory
- NES Math: Set Theory
- NES Math: Statistics Overview
- NES Math: Summarizing Data
- NES Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NES Math: Probability
- NES Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Sampling
- NES Math: Regression & Correlation
- NES Mathematics Flashcards