About This Chapter
NES Math: Discrete Probability Distributions - Chapter Summary
Let us help you prepare for the NES Math test by offering an opportunity to review probability distributions and problems involving them. Our videos cover test topics that include:
- Types of random variables
- How to find the expected value of a discrete random variable
- How to develop discrete probability distributions empirically and theoretically, and find expected values
- Characteristics of binomial experiments
- How to find binomial probabilities with formulas and tables
- Standard and mean deviation of a binomial random variable
- How to solve problems with binomial experiments
These lively lessons contain plenty of examples and practice problems to help you refresh your understanding, and each is followed by a short self-assessment quiz. You can study anytime on a computer or mobile device, and there's a sheet of quiz questions to print if you want to study offline. Have questions? Use the ask-an-expert message board on our Dashboard to contact the instructors.
NES Math: Discrete Probability Distributions Objectives
Five states make the NES Math test one of the requirements for obtaining certification to teach math at the secondary level. Questions on the test are sectioned into five content domains, and those on discrete probability distributions are in the Statistics, Probability, and Discrete Mathematics domain. This part of the test accounts of 19% of the total scoring.
All questions on the NES Math test are multiple-choice, like the questions on the lesson quizzes and chapter exam in our study guide. You'll be asked to answer a question or solve a problem and choose the correct answer from several options. Completing our quizzes and the chapter exam will provide experience answering these types of questions and also offer a good way to assess your learning and see where extra review might be useful.
1. Random Variables: Definition, Types & Examples
This lesson defines the term random variables in the context of probability. You'll learn about certain properties of random variables and the different types of random variables.
2. Finding & Interpreting the Expected Value of a Discrete Random Variable
Discrete random variables appear in your life a lot more than you think. You can use expected values to find the probability of a discrete random variable, as shown in this lesson.
3. Developing Discrete Probability Distributions Theoretically & Finding Expected Values
In this lesson, we will look at generating a theoretical probability distribution for a discrete random variable and introduce the concept of expected value.
4. Developing Discrete Probability Distributions Empirically & Finding Expected Values
In this lesson, we will look at creating a discrete probability distribution given a set of discrete data. We will also look at determining the expected value of the distribution.
5. Binomial Experiments: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Binomial experiments happen in your everyday life far more often than you might think. In this lesson, you will learn the characteristics of binomial experiments that will help you identify them.
6. Finding Binomial Probabilities Using Formulas: Process & Examples
You can find the probability of getting a certain number of successes when conducting a binomial experiment. In this lesson, you will learn how to find this information using the binomial probabilities formula.
7. Finding Binomial Probabilities Using Tables
A binomial probability table can look intimidating to use. However, it can make your life a lot easier when trying to figure out binomial probabilities. This lesson will teach you how to read those tables.
8. Mean & Standard Deviation of a Binomial Random Variable: Formula & Example
When working with binomial random variables and experiments, it is important to understand the mean and standard deviation. In this lesson, you will learn how to analyze binomial experiments using the mean and standard deviation of a binomial random variable.
9. Solving Problems with Binomial Experiments: Steps & Example
Sometimes when conducting research you will need to use binomial experiments to solve problems. In this lesson, you will learn about binomial experiments and how to use probability to solve problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NES Math: Fractions
- NES Math: Decimals & Percents
- NES Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NES Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NES Math: Logic
- NES Math: Reasoning
- NES Math: Vector Operations
- NES Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NES Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NES Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NES Math: Linear Equations
- NES Math: Inequalities
- NES Math: Absolute Value
- NES Math: Quadratic Equations
- NES Math: Polynomials
- NES Math: Rational Expressions
- NES Math: Radical Expressions
- NES Math: Systems of Equations
- NES Math: Complex Numbers
- NES Math: Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NES Math: Continuity of Functions
- NES Math: Limits
- NES Math: Rate of Change
- NES Math: Derivative Rules
- NES Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NES Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NES Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NES Math: Integration Techniques
- NES Math: Applications of Integration
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- NES Math: Properties of Triangles
- NES Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Quadrilaterals
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- NES Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NES Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NES Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NES Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NES Math: Sequences & Series
- NES Math: Graph Theory
- NES Math: Set Theory
- NES Math: Statistics Overview
- NES Math: Summarizing Data
- NES Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NES Math: Probability
- NES Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Sampling
- NES Math: Regression & Correlation