About This Chapter
NES Math: Inequalities - Chapter Summary
Let us help you refresh your knowledge of inequalities, including how to graph them, as you prepare for the NES Math test. Our video lessons, quizzes and other study aids can help you review:
- Linear inequalities
- The process of graphing 1- and 2-variable inequalities and solving quadratic inequalities
- Compound inequalities, set notation and systems of inequalities
- The absolute-value inequality
- Ways to solve and graph an absolute value inequality
- Method of graphing a system of quadratic inequalities
You can watch these videos anytime on a computer or mobile device. After completing the lessons, assess your learning through the short lesson quizzes and a comprehensive chapter exam. Every video includes a clickable Timeline that makes it easy to jump to specific parts of the lesson for review. A text transcript lets you read along with the instructor, and it highlights important terms and concepts in bold type.
NES Math: Inequalities Chapter Objectives
Five states have made passing the NES Math test one of the requirements for certification to teach math at the secondary level. This test consists of multiple-choice questions, divided into five content domains. The questions on inequalities are in the Patterns, Algebra and Functions content domain. This content domain makes up 24% of the test's total scoring.
Because the lesson quizzes and the chapter exam also consist of multiple-choice questions, taking them provides experience answering questions like you'll encounter on the NES Math test, in addition to letting you see where you need extra study.
1. What is an Inequality?
Inequalities are equations that use greater- or less-than symbols and can be very helpful in situations that can have multiple solutions. Discover what an inequality is, understand what a two-variable inequality is, and learn how to graph two-variable inequalities.
2. Solving Linear Inequalities: Practice Problems
Linear inequalities may look intimidating, but they're really not much different than linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of linear inequalities.
3. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
Algebraic inequalities may be written as one-variable inequalities or two-variable inequalities and the number of variables affects the graphs of the inequalities. Investigate the differences between one-variable and two-variable inequalities and learn how to graph them on number lines and coordinate systems.
4. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
Compound inequalities are used to represent relationships of different algebraic expressions using inequality symbols. Learn about constructing and graphing compound inequalities, how to solve systems of inequalities, and how to represent these solutions in set notation and interval notation.
5. The Absolute-Value Inequality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve absolute value inequalities. Learn how you can easily set up your problem to successfully solve your problem each and every time.
6. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Inequalities and absolute value inequalities are graphed on number lines and coordinate systems, depending on the number of variables. Investigate inequalities and absolute value inequalities and learn how to solve and graph an absolute value inequality.
7. Graphing & Solving Quadratic Inequalities: Examples & Process
When you finish watching this video lesson, you will be able to graph and solve your own quadratic inequality. Learn what steps you need to take and what to watch for.
8. Graphing a System of Quadratic Inequalities: Examples & Process
What is a system of quadratic inequalities? What are the steps to graphing them? Find the answers to these questions by watching this video lesson. When you finish, you will be able to graph these yourself.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NES Math: Fractions
- NES Math: Decimals & Percents
- NES Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NES Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NES Math: Logic
- NES Math: Reasoning
- NES Math: Vector Operations
- NES Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NES Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NES Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NES Math: Linear Equations
- NES Math: Absolute Value
- NES Math: Quadratic Equations
- NES Math: Polynomials
- NES Math: Rational Expressions
- NES Math: Radical Expressions
- NES Math: Systems of Equations
- NES Math: Complex Numbers
- NES Math: Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NES Math: Continuity of Functions
- NES Math: Limits
- NES Math: Rate of Change
- NES Math: Derivative Rules
- NES Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NES Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NES Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NES Math: Integration Techniques
- NES Math: Applications of Integration
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- NES Math: Properties of Triangles
- NES Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Quadrilaterals
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- NES Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NES Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NES Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NES Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NES Math: Sequences & Series
- NES Math: Graph Theory
- NES Math: Set Theory
- NES Math: Statistics Overview
- NES Math: Summarizing Data
- NES Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NES Math: Probability
- NES Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Sampling
- NES Math: Regression & Correlation
- NES Mathematics Flashcards