About This Chapter
NES Math: Polynomials - Chapter Summary
These video lessons offer a thorough refresher program in working with polynomials. Get ready for the NES Math test by reviewing topics including:
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and long division with polynomials
- The remainder and factor theorems
- How to find rational zeroes
- Fundamental theorem of algebra
- Basic polynomial graphs and basic transformations
- The binomial theorem
Our instructors use humor and plenty of real world examples to make these short lessons fun and informative. You can watch them as your schedule permits, on a computer, smartphone or tablet. Lesson quizzes let you gauge your learning, and every video includes a Timeline with clickable links that enable you to jump back to specific parts of the lesson you need to review.
NES Math: Polynomials - Chapter Objectives
Passing the NES Math test is one of the requirements for certification to teach math at the secondary level in several states. The test's questions are in five content domains, and questions on polynomials are in the Patterns, Algebra and Functions content domain. This is the largest content domain on the test, accounting for 24% of the total score.
All questions on the NES Math test are multiple-choice and administered by computer. Our lesson quizzes and the chapter exam are also in this format, so completing them will give you an idea of what you'll encounter on test day, in addition to providing an assessment of your subject knowledge.
1. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
2. Operations with Polynomials in Several Variables
In this video lesson, you will learn how to handle and work with polynomials that have more than one variable. This is important because in math you sometimes have to work with several variables at the same time.
3. How to Divide Polynomials with Long Division
Arithmetic long division and polynomial long division are very similar. Yes, it's a long process, but once you have the rhythm you will get every problem correct!
4. How to Use Synthetic Division to Divide Polynomials
Synthetic division is a 'short-cut' way of dividing a polynomial by a monomial. You still need to know long division, sorry, but this method is way fun when you're dividing by a monomial!
5. Remainder Theorem & Factor Theorem: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the remainder theorem and the factor theorem. You will also learn how to use these theorems to find remainders and factors of polynomials.
6. Finding Rational Zeros Using the Rational Zeros Theorem & Synthetic Division
After completing this lesson, you will know what the rational zeros theorem says. You will also know how to apply this theorem to find zeros of polynomial functions.
7. Fundamental Theorem of Algebra: Explanation and Example
In this lesson, you will learn what the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra says. You will also learn how to apply this theorem in determining solutions of polynomial functions.
8. Understanding Basic Polynomial Graphs
This lesson will cover understanding basic polynomial graphs. The lesson focuses on how exponents and leading coefficients alter the behavior of the graphs.
9. Basic Transformations of Polynomial Graphs
The basic transformations for a graph are movement up and down, left and right, pinched or stretched graphs, and flipped graphs. This lesson will review how to accomplish each of these transformations.
10. The Binomial Theorem: Defining Expressions
In this lesson, students will learn the binomial theorem and get practice using the theorem to expand binomial expressions. The theorem is broken down into its parts and then reconstructed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NES Math: Fractions
- NES Math: Decimals & Percents
- NES Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NES Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NES Math: Logic
- NES Math: Reasoning
- NES Math: Vector Operations
- NES Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NES Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NES Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NES Math: Linear Equations
- NES Math: Inequalities
- NES Math: Absolute Value
- NES Math: Quadratic Equations
- NES Math: Rational Expressions
- NES Math: Radical Expressions
- NES Math: Systems of Equations
- NES Math: Complex Numbers
- NES Math: Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NES Math: Continuity of Functions
- NES Math: Limits
- NES Math: Rate of Change
- NES Math: Derivative Rules
- NES Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NES Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NES Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NES Math: Integration Techniques
- NES Math: Applications of Integration
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- NES Math: Properties of Triangles
- NES Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Quadrilaterals
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- NES Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NES Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NES Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NES Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NES Math: Sequences & Series
- NES Math: Graph Theory
- NES Math: Set Theory
- NES Math: Statistics Overview
- NES Math: Summarizing Data
- NES Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NES Math: Probability
- NES Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Sampling
- NES Math: Regression & Correlation
- NES Mathematics Flashcards