About This Chapter
NES Math: Quadrilaterals - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons can help you brush up on your understanding of various four-sided geometric figures and ways of measuring them. Use our videos to get ready for NES Math exam questions on topics that include:
- Proof theorems for parallelograms
- How to measure the area of a parallelogram, trapezoid and a rhombus
- Properties of a rectangle
- Formula for finding the area of a rectangle
- Properties of trapezoids and squares
- How to find the area of complex figures
Our study guide is an easy-to-follow series of short video lessons and quizzes that can support you in preparing for the NES Math test. The instructors use animation, examples and plenty of practice problems to review information, and you can contact them if you have questions. A written transcript highlights important terms in the lesson, and you can monitor your progress with our Dashboard feature.
NES Math: Quadrilaterals Objectives
In five states, passing the NES Math exam is one of the requirements for becoming certified to teach math at the secondary level. All the questions on the NES test are multiple-choice, like those on our lesson quizzes. Taking our quizzes will prepare you for the format you'll face on the NES Math test in addition to pointing out where you need extra study before test day.
There are five content areas on the NES Math exam, and questions on quadrilaterals are in the section on Measurement and Geometry. This content domain accounts for 19% of the test.
1. Parallelograms: Definition, Properties, and Proof Theorems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can identify parallelograms. You will see the unique properties that belong to the parallelogram. You will see the special side and angle characteristics needed to prove a certain shape is a parallelogram.
2. Measuring the Area of a Parallelogram: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn the simple formula to find the area of a parallelogram. Learn what measurements you need, how to label your parallelogram, and how to use the formula.
3. Measuring the Area of a Rhombus: Formula & Examples
Did you know that there are three ways to find the area of a rhombus? Watch this video lesson to learn all three of them. See what information you need for each method as well as the steps required for each.
4. Rectangles: Definition, Properties & Construction
Watch this video lesson to learn a bit about rectangles. Learn why rectangles are the building blocks of many homes. Also, learn about the properties that make a rectangle unique from other shapes. Finally, learn how you can draw one.
5. Measuring the Area of a Rectangle: Formula & Examples
Look around you, and you see rectangles all over the place. And if you see paint, carpet, or anything that covers a rectangular area, you can be sure that someone has measured the area of the rectangle. Watch this video lesson to learn more.
6. Squares: Definition and Properties
Squares can be found in many places in the real world. Watch this video lesson to see how useful they can be and also to learn how to find the perimeter and area of a square.
7. Trapezoids: Definition and Properties
Watch this video lesson to learn what a trapezoid has to do with a triangle. Also, learn the special words that describe the various parts of a trapezoid. You will also see special types of trapezoids.
8. Measuring the Area of a Trapezoid
In this video lesson, you will watch and learn how you can find the area of trapezoid. Learn what measurements you need to have on hand as well as the formula that you need to use.
9. Area of Complex Figures
Finding the area of shapes isn't always as simple as it is with squares and rectangles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the area of complex figures. This includes finding the area of unusual shapes and finding the area of parts of shapes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NES Math: Fractions
- NES Math: Decimals & Percents
- NES Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NES Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NES Math: Logic
- NES Math: Reasoning
- NES Math: Vector Operations
- NES Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NES Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NES Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NES Math: Linear Equations
- NES Math: Inequalities
- NES Math: Absolute Value
- NES Math: Quadratic Equations
- NES Math: Polynomials
- NES Math: Rational Expressions
- NES Math: Radical Expressions
- NES Math: Systems of Equations
- NES Math: Complex Numbers
- NES Math: Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NES Math: Continuity of Functions
- NES Math: Limits
- NES Math: Rate of Change
- NES Math: Derivative Rules
- NES Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NES Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NES Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NES Math: Integration Techniques
- NES Math: Applications of Integration
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- NES Math: Properties of Triangles
- NES Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- NES Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NES Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NES Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NES Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NES Math: Sequences & Series
- NES Math: Graph Theory
- NES Math: Set Theory
- NES Math: Statistics Overview
- NES Math: Summarizing Data
- NES Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NES Math: Probability
- NES Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Sampling
- NES Math: Regression & Correlation
- NES Mathematics Flashcards