About This Chapter
NES Math: Sampling - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's lessons on samples and analysis techniques as part of your review resources as you get ready for the NES Math test. Our short videos, quizzes and other study tools can help you brush up on topics such as:
- Definition and measures of random sampling
- Simple, stratified, cluster and systematic random samples
- The central limit theorem on sampling distributions
- How to find the mean and standard error of the sampling distribution
- How to find probabilities about means with the central limit theorem
Our instructors are experts who make these lessons informative and entertaining through their use of examples, animation and humor. After each lesson, you can assess your learning with a short quiz. There's a comprehensive test at the end of the chapter. If you answer a question incorrectly, the answer key offers links back to the part of the lesson that discusses the question's topic.
NES Math: Sampling Chapter Objectives
All questions on the NES Math test are multiple-choice, and the test is administered by computer. Our lesson quizzes and the chapter exam are also computer-delivered multiple-choice tests, so taking them will give you good experience answering questions in the format you'll find on the NES Math test.
Questions on the NES Math test are divided into five content domains, and questions on sampling are in the Statistics, Probability and Discrete Mathematics content domain. This part of the test accounts for 19% of the total score.
1. What is Random Sampling? - Definition, Conditions & Measures
Random sampling is used in many research scenarios. In this lesson, you will learn how to use random sampling and find out the benefits and risks of using random samples.
2. Simple Random Samples: Definition & Examples
Simple random sampling is a common method used to collect data in many different fields. From psychology to economics, simple random sampling can be the most feasible way to get information. Learn all about it in this lesson!
3. Stratified Random Samples: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Random sampling isn't always simple! There are many different types of sampling. In this lesson, you will learn how to use stratified random sampling and when it is most appropriate to use it.
4. Cluster Random Samples: Definition, Selection & Examples
Cluster random sampling is one of many ways you can collect data. Sometimes it can be confusing knowing which way is best. This lesson explains cluster random sampling, how to use it, and the differences between cluster and stratified sampling.
5. Systematic Random Samples: Definition, Formula & Advantages
Systematic random sampling is a great way to randomly collect data on a population without the hassle of putting names in a bag or using a random number generator. In this lesson, learn all about how and when to use systematic random sampling.
6. Sampling Distributions & the Central Limit Theorem: Definition, Formula & Examples
Want proof that all of this normal distribution talk actually makes sense? Then you've come to the right place. In this lesson, we look at sampling distributions and the idea of the central limit theorem, a basic component of statistics.
7. Find the Mean & Standard Error of the Sampling Distribution
Have you ever had a situation where one grade destroyed your average? Wouldn't you like a way of proving that your work was actually pretty good with that one exception? The standard error gives you such a chance.
8. Finding Probabilities About Means Using the Central Limit Theorem
The central limit theorem provides us with a very powerful approach for solving problems involving large amount of data. In this lesson, we'll explore how this is done as well as conditions that make this theorem valid.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NES Math: Fractions
- NES Math: Decimals & Percents
- NES Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NES Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NES Math: Logic
- NES Math: Reasoning
- NES Math: Vector Operations
- NES Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NES Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NES Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NES Math: Linear Equations
- NES Math: Inequalities
- NES Math: Absolute Value
- NES Math: Quadratic Equations
- NES Math: Polynomials
- NES Math: Rational Expressions
- NES Math: Radical Expressions
- NES Math: Systems of Equations
- NES Math: Complex Numbers
- NES Math: Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NES Math: Continuity of Functions
- NES Math: Limits
- NES Math: Rate of Change
- NES Math: Derivative Rules
- NES Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NES Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NES Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NES Math: Integration Techniques
- NES Math: Applications of Integration
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- NES Math: Properties of Triangles
- NES Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Quadrilaterals
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- NES Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NES Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NES Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NES Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NES Math: Sequences & Series
- NES Math: Graph Theory
- NES Math: Set Theory
- NES Math: Statistics Overview
- NES Math: Summarizing Data
- NES Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NES Math: Probability
- NES Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Regression & Correlation
- NES Mathematics Flashcards