About This Chapter
NES Math: Set Theory - Chapter Summary
Let us help you review information about mathematical sets and subsets as you study for the NES Math exam. This chapter of our study guide offers lessons on topics such as:
- Elements, unions and intersections
- Types of subsets
- Venn diagrams
- Categorical propositions
- Definition of a two-way table
You can explore these lessons whenever you have spare time. A computer, phone or tablet can be used for convenient access. All lessons are accompanied by a transcript with important concepts and terms highlighted. There's even a sheet of quiz questions that you can print and use for offline study.
NES Math: Set Theory Chapter Objectives
In several states, passing the NES Math exam is one of the conditions for certification to teach math at the secondary level. The exam's questions are categorized into content domains, and questions on the topics in this chapter are in the exam's Statistics, Probabilities and Discrete Mathematics content domain area. This part of the test accounts for 19% of the total score.
All questions on the NES Math exam are multiple-choice, like the questions on our lesson quizzes and chapter exams. In addition to providing practice in answering questions like you'll find on the exam, our tests indicate topics where extra study might be required.
1. Mathematical Sets: Elements, Intersections & Unions
Today we're going to explore mathematical sets, which are surprisingly simple! Sets are just collections of any objects or concepts, also known as elements, that can be related to each other through union or intersection.
2. Cardinality & Types of Subsets (Infinite, Finite, Equal, Empty)
In this video, we will add to our knowledge of sets. We will talk about cardinality, infinite, finite, equal and the empty set. I think you will find these very straightforward, so let's begin.
3. Venn Diagrams: Subset, Disjoint, Overlap, Intersection & Union
The Venn diagram was introduced by John Venn. Yes, the Venn diagram is named after a real person! His idea was to show sets in terms of pictures. The Venn diagram is now used in many fields, including mathematics. Let's take a look at John Venn's idea.
4. Categorical Propositions: Subject, Predicate, Equivalent & Infinite Sets
Watch this video lesson to learn how categorical propositions are written. You will also see what the subject and predicate are as well as learn about equivalent and infinite sets.
5. What is a Two-Way Table?
Do you believe in Martians? Do you watch football on television? A Two-Way Table or Contingency Table is a great way to show the results of all kinds of survey questions. In this video we will learn how to read a two-way table.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NES Math: Fractions
- NES Math: Decimals & Percents
- NES Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NES Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NES Math: Logic
- NES Math: Reasoning
- NES Math: Vector Operations
- NES Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NES Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NES Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NES Math: Linear Equations
- NES Math: Inequalities
- NES Math: Absolute Value
- NES Math: Quadratic Equations
- NES Math: Polynomials
- NES Math: Rational Expressions
- NES Math: Radical Expressions
- NES Math: Systems of Equations
- NES Math: Complex Numbers
- NES Math: Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NES Math: Continuity of Functions
- NES Math: Limits
- NES Math: Rate of Change
- NES Math: Derivative Rules
- NES Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NES Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NES Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NES Math: Integration Techniques
- NES Math: Applications of Integration
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- NES Math: Properties of Triangles
- NES Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Quadrilaterals
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- NES Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NES Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NES Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NES Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NES Math: Sequences & Series
- NES Math: Graph Theory
- NES Math: Statistics Overview
- NES Math: Summarizing Data
- NES Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NES Math: Probability
- NES Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Sampling
- NES Math: Regression & Correlation
- NES Mathematics Flashcards