About This Chapter
NES Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs - Chapter Summary
These video lessons provide a review of several types of tables, plots and graphs, and they demonstrate ways of creating and interpreting them. After completing this chapter, you'll be better prepared to answer NES Math test questions on:
- Frequency and relative frequency tables
- Stem and leaf displays
- Frequency polygons
- Dot and box plots
- Bar graphs and pie charts
- Bivariate data
Humor, real-world examples and animations make our lessons a fun way to prepare for the NES Math test. These videos average about five minutes in length, and you can watch them on computer, smartphone or tablet, from anywhere you have access to the Internet. Every lesson includes a short multiple-choice quiz, and the video provides a clickable Timeline that makes it easy to return to specific parts of the lesson.
NES Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs Chapter Objectives
Five states have made passing the NES Math test one of their requirements for obtaining certification to teach secondary-level mathematics. The test is administered by computer, and all its questions are multiple-choice, as are our lesson quizzes and the chapter exam. In addition to letting you evaluate your knowledge, these tests offer practice in answering questions in the format that the NES Math test uses.
The NES Math test has five content domains, and questions involving the material taught in this chapter are in the Statistics, Probability and Discrete Mathematics content domain. This content domain makes up 19% of the total scoring.
1. Frequency & Relative Frequency Tables: Definition & Examples
Frequency and relative frequency tables are a good way to visualize information. This is especially useful for information that is grouped into categories where you are looking for popularity or mode.
2. Cumulative Frequency Tables: Definition, Uses & Examples
Cumulative frequency tables can help you analyze and understand large amounts of information. In this lesson, you practice creating and interpreting cumulative frequency tables.
3. Creating & Reading Stem & Leaf Displays
Every once in a while you will come across stem-and-leaf displays in statistics. These displays can be very useful in identifying all of the values in a data set while still visually representing the data.
4. Creating & Interpreting Histograms: Process & Examples
Creating histograms can help you easily identify and interpret data. This lesson will give you several examples to better understand histograms and how to create them.
5. Creating & Interpreting Frequency Polygons: Process & Examples
Frequency polygons can be used to analyze data sets in many different ways. They are also a great way to visualize and compare two sets of data. In this lesson, learn the uses and create a frequency polygon.
6. Creating & Interpreting Dot Plots: Process & Examples
Dot plots are a visual way to display the frequency distribution in a data set. In this lesson, you will learn how to construct a dot plot and understand its uses.
7. Creating & Interpreting Box Plots: Process & Examples
Box plots are an essential tool in statistical analysis. This lesson will help you create a box plot and understand its meaning. When you are finished, test your understanding with a short quiz!
8. Understanding Bar Graphs and Pie Charts
Bar graphs and pie charts are some of the most used graphical ways to present data. Learn how to read bar graphs and pie charts, and explore some examples to understand how they are interpreted.
9. What is Bivariate Data? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will be learning about the definition and uses of bivariate data. We will also compare and contrast the characteristics of univariate data and bivariate data.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NES Math: Fractions
- NES Math: Decimals & Percents
- NES Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NES Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NES Math: Logic
- NES Math: Reasoning
- NES Math: Vector Operations
- NES Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NES Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NES Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NES Math: Linear Equations
- NES Math: Inequalities
- NES Math: Absolute Value
- NES Math: Quadratic Equations
- NES Math: Polynomials
- NES Math: Rational Expressions
- NES Math: Radical Expressions
- NES Math: Systems of Equations
- NES Math: Complex Numbers
- NES Math: Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NES Math: Continuity of Functions
- NES Math: Limits
- NES Math: Rate of Change
- NES Math: Derivative Rules
- NES Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NES Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NES Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NES Math: Integration Techniques
- NES Math: Applications of Integration
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- NES Math: Properties of Triangles
- NES Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Quadrilaterals
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- NES Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NES Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NES Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NES Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NES Math: Sequences & Series
- NES Math: Graph Theory
- NES Math: Set Theory
- NES Math: Statistics Overview
- NES Math: Summarizing Data
- NES Math: Probability
- NES Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Sampling
- NES Math: Regression & Correlation
- NES Mathematics Flashcards