About This Chapter
NES Math: Vector Operations - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to review facts about operations and calculations with vectors as you study for the NES Math exam. Our lively videos, self-assessment quizzes and useful study aids will guide you in preparing for questions on:
- Types of vectors
- Geometric approach to vector addition and subtraction
- Resultants of vectors
- Scalar multiplication of vectors
You can watch these videos and take the accompanying quizzes anytime your schedule allows, using a computer or mobile device. Our instructors keep the lessons brief and use plenty of animations, examples and practice problems to explain their topics. If you have questions, you can easily contact them through our message board.
NES Math: Vector Operations - Chapter Objectives
Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington and Wisconsin use the NES Math test as one way of assessing readiness for certification to teach the subject at the secondary level. The test is computer-delivered and consists entirely of multiple-choice questions, divided into five content domains. Questions on vector operations are in the content domain on Statistics, Probability, and Discrete Mathematics, which accounts for 19% of the test's total score.
The lesson quizzes and the chapter exam we offer are in the same format as the NES Math test, so taking them will help you become familiar with the types of questions you'll face. Our tests also show you where you may need additional study prior to test day, and video links can point you to the right spots in the lesson for review.
1. What Is a Vector? - Definition & Types
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what vectors are in physics, give some examples of vectors and have a basic idea of how they can be manipulated mathematically. A short quiz will follow.
2. Vector Addition (Geometric Approach): Explanation & Examples
After watching this video, you will be able to explain why we might need to add two vectors and, given magnitudes and directions, add two vectors using geometric methods. A short quiz will follow.
3. Vector Subtraction (Geometric): Formula & Examples
After watching this lesson, you will be able to subtract vectors geometrically and give examples of how that process might be used in physics. A short quiz will follow.
4. Resultants of Vectors: Definition & Calculation
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what a resultant of a vector is and use mathematics to calculate the resultant of two vectors. A short quiz will follow.
5. Scalar Multiplication of Vectors: Definition & Calculations
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what scalar multiplication is and complete basic calculations involving the scalar multiplication of vectors. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NES Math: Fractions
- NES Math: Decimals & Percents
- NES Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NES Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NES Math: Logic
- NES Math: Reasoning
- NES Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NES Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NES Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NES Math: Linear Equations
- NES Math: Inequalities
- NES Math: Absolute Value
- NES Math: Quadratic Equations
- NES Math: Polynomials
- NES Math: Rational Expressions
- NES Math: Radical Expressions
- NES Math: Systems of Equations
- NES Math: Complex Numbers
- NES Math: Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NES Math: Continuity of Functions
- NES Math: Limits
- NES Math: Rate of Change
- NES Math: Derivative Rules
- NES Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NES Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NES Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NES Math: Integration Techniques
- NES Math: Applications of Integration
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- NES Math: Properties of Triangles
- NES Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Quadrilaterals
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- NES Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NES Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NES Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NES Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NES Math: Sequences & Series
- NES Math: Graph Theory
- NES Math: Set Theory
- NES Math: Statistics Overview
- NES Math: Summarizing Data
- NES Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NES Math: Probability
- NES Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NES Math: Sampling
- NES Math: Regression & Correlation