About This Chapter
NES Phys Ed: Organizing & Evaluating Phys Ed Programs - Chapter Summary
This chapter uses a combination of lessons and quizzes to prepare you for questions about developing and assessing PE programs on the NES Phys Ed exam. By the end of the chapter, you will have learned about the following:
- National and state standards for PE programs
- PE lesson plans
- Accommodating students from diverse backgrounds or who have disabilities
- Ensuring progress and safety in PE classes
- Assessment methods used in PE instruction
These lessons are a fast and easy way to brush up on topics you may have grown rusty on. Work through the lessons at your own pace, then test your understanding of the lesson topics with corresponding practice quizzes. Contact our helpful instructors if you have any questions about the lesson material.
NES Phys Ed: Organizing & Evaluating Phys Ed Programs Objectives
This chapter helps you to study for questions about developing, implementing and evaluating PE programs in the Physical Education Program content area of the NES Phys Ed exam. This test area accounts for about 25% of the total score. You'll be asked about standards and principles of effective PE instruction, appropriateness and safety of lesson plans and activities, modifying instruction for diverse learners and assessment methods used in PE programs.
The full NES Phys Ed exam consists of 150 multiple-choice questions on growth and development, movement, fitness and PE programs. The test lasts three hours and is taken electronically at a designated testing site. Passing the exam is a certification requirement for phys ed teachers in some states.
1. Designing PE Programs Based on National & State Standards
This lesson will teach you, by example, how to design effective physical education programs based on a set of standards. It will guide you through the process of backwards planning and evaluating the standards to create a scope and sequence, or the depth and order of the content. Finally, it will support you in creating lessons to meet each of those substandards.
2. Analyzing Physical Education Lesson Plans
Teachers need to keep several aspects in mind when designing lessons, like skill level and purpose. This lesson describes necessary components of physical education lesson plans and details what aspects to include.
3. Accommodating Diverse Students in Physical Education Class
You're going to learn how methods of instruction, activities, rules, and equipment can be altered in order to accommodate students of different cultures, languages, and physical abilities.
4. Student Progress & Safety in Physical Education Classes
Physical education teachers have an important responsibility to monitor students' progress and safety in class. This lesson provides some strategies for successfully acting as a monitor.
5. Physical Education Assessments: Types & Uses
In this lesson we explore physical education assessments today and the common criteria that educators use. In addition, we discover the best way to approach using assessments with the student.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Physical Education (506): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Phys Ed: Growth & Development
- NES Phys Ed: Wellness & Activity
- NES Phys Ed: The Skeletal System
- NES Phys Ed: The Muscular System
- NES Phys Ed: The Circulatory System
- NES Phys Ed: The Respiratory System
- NES Phys Ed: The Nervous System
- NES Phys Ed: The Digestive System
- NES Phys Ed: Physical Activity & the Body
- NES Phys Ed: Motor Development & Learning
- NES Phys Ed: Movement Concepts & Biomechanics
- NES Phys Ed: Sports & Recreational Activities
- NES Phys Ed: Exercise & Body Composition
- NES Phys Ed: Weight Management
- NES Phys Ed: Responsible Personal & Social Behaviors
- NES Phys Ed: Supporting Student Development
- NES Phys Ed: Maintaining a Safe Environment
- NES Physical Education Flashcards