About This Chapter
NES Phys Ed: The Digestive System - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter of our study guide offer a review of the human digestive system, including its parts, operation and common problems. These short videos and texts cover the following topics to help you on the NES Physical Education test:
- Common problems of the digestive system
- How the upper gastrointestinal tract functions
- Description of the lower gastrointestinal tract and its operation
- The physiological processes of the digestive system
You can watch these lessons anytime on a computer or mobile device. Short quizzes let you assess your retention. Read along with the instructor through a text transcript with key terms and concepts in bold type. The personalized Dashboard lets you track your study, and you can use the links in the Timeline to click back to spots in the lessons you need to review.
NES Phys Ed: The Digestive System Chapter Objectives
The NES Physical Education exam consists entirely of multiple-choice questions, like the lesson quizzes in our study guide. These quizzes let you get experience taking a test in a format similar to the one you'll encounter on the NES exam. The exam is divided into four content domains, each accounting for 25% of the test's total score. Questions on the digestive system are in the Growth and Motor Development content domain.
1. Gastrointestinal Health & Digestive Problems
In this lesson, you will learn about digestive health, your gastrointestinal tract and what you can do to keep it healthy. You will also learn about symptoms of common digestive problems.
2. Digestive System I: The Upper Gastrointestinal Tract
Did you know that there are digestive enzymes in your saliva? It's true. As soon as you put a piece of food in your mouth, the digestive process begins. Join us with this first of two lessons about the human digestive system, where we'll follow food through the upper gastrointestinal tract from the mouth through the stomach.
3. Digestive System II: The Lower Gastrointestinal Tract
The lower gastrointestinal tract is the part of the digestive system that is responsible for the last part of food digestion and the expulsion of waste from the body. In this lesson, we'll look at each part of the system and what functions each serves in the process of digestion.
4. The Digestive System: Functions & Physiological Processes
In this lesson, we explore the functions and processes of the digestive system, where the food we eat is broken down and turned into the energy we use to do virtually everything else. A short quiz follows.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Physical Education (506): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES Phys Ed: Growth & Development
- NES Phys Ed: Wellness & Activity
- NES Phys Ed: The Skeletal System
- NES Phys Ed: The Muscular System
- NES Phys Ed: The Circulatory System
- NES Phys Ed: The Respiratory System
- NES Phys Ed: The Nervous System
- NES Phys Ed: Physical Activity & the Body
- NES Phys Ed: Motor Development & Learning
- NES Phys Ed: Movement Concepts & Biomechanics
- NES Phys Ed: Sports & Recreational Activities
- NES Phys Ed: Exercise & Body Composition
- NES Phys Ed: Weight Management
- NES Phys Ed: Responsible Personal & Social Behaviors
- NES Phys Ed: Supporting Student Development
- NES Phys Ed: Organizing & Evaluating Phys Ed Programs
- NES Phys Ed: Maintaining a Safe Environment
- NES Physical Education Flashcards