About This Chapter
Network Topologies & Ethernet Standards - Chapter Summary
Whether you know a little or a lot about network topologies and Ethernet standards, this chapter can help strengthen your comprehension. Gain greater insight into hybrid networking topologies, network switching and more by exploring our entertaining lessons. If you need to clarify concepts covered in the lessons, don't hesitate to submit questions to our subject-matter experts. Use our mini quizzes and broader exam to gauge your overall understanding of this chapter. In no time, you will be able to do the following:
- Explain how bus, ring, star and mesh topology connect computer networks
- Define and describe the characteristics of physical and logical topology
- List types and uses of hybrid networking topologies
- Identify and discuss types and uses of backbone networks
- Share the definition and list types of network switching
- Describe Ethernet standards and provide examples of Ethernet frames
1. How Star, Bus, Ring & Mesh Topology Connect Computer Networks in Organizations
Computers in a network are connected in some logical manner, referred to as network topology or network architecture. Learn about the different types of network architecture.
2. Physical & Logical Topology: Definition & Characteristics
How do we connect to network resources? In this lesson, we'll discuss physical and logical topologies, which are different ways of describing network connections. We'll also look at characteristics of some commonly used topologies.
3. Hybrid Networking Topologies: Types, Uses & Examples
Physical design of a network requires proper planning, which for certain cases requires multiple topologies being combined (hybrid topology) to address all organizational needs. This lesson explains hybrid network topologies, their examples, and uses.
4. Backbone Networks: Types & Uses
In this lesson, we'll learn what backbone networks are and explore their various uses and the infrastructure necessary when implementing the different types.
5. Network Switching: Definition & Types
In this lesson we will understand the definition of network switching. We will examine how it works with the different types of network switching mechanisms. This lesson will focus on circuit, packet and MPLS switching.
6. Ethernet Standards & Frames
In this lesson we will examine and understand the different Ethernet standards that govern LAN Technology. We will understand the differences in technology employed for twisted pairs wires, Ethernet links and Fiber Optics. We will also understand the components of an Ethernet frame.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 108: Introduction to Networking course
- Computer Networking Fundamentals
- Networking Standards & the OSI Model
- Transmission & Networking Media
- The Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol Model
- TCP/IP Mail Services & Network Troubleshooting
- Network Hardware
- Wide Area Networks
- Wireless Networking
- Virtual Networks
- Network Security
- Voice & Video Communication Over IP