About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering neuro disorders material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn neurologic disorders. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding neurologic disorders
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning neuroscience (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about neurologic disorders
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra neuroscience learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Neuro Disorders chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Neuro Disorders chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any neurologic disorders question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a neuro disorders unit of a standard neuroanatomy course. Topics covered include:
- Definitions, causes, signs, and symptoms of neurologic disorders
- Categorization of disorders within the central and peripheral nervous systems
- Psychotic disorders
- How neurotransmitters are involved with the development of Schizophrenia
- Tests used to diagnose neurologic conditions
1. What are Neurological Disorders? - Definitions & Causes
There are a ton of reasons for why your body's nervous system may fail. We'll go over what the nervous system is, what neurological disorders are, the many things that cause them, and what neurons and the myelin sheath have to do with all of this in this lesson.
2. Common Signs & Symptoms of Neurological Conditions
Explore the differences between signs and symptoms and which signs and symptoms are commonly attributed to nervous system dysfunction and disease, including amnesia and ataxia.
3. Categorization of Neurological Disorders: Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems Disorders
This lesson explores two major parts of the nervous system. You'll learn what the nervous system is and what types of problems can affect each system.
4. Psychotic Disorders of the Nervous System
This lesson will discuss some psychotic disorders and their general causes. We will go over schizophrenia, delusional disorders, and mood disorders, such as depression and bipolar disorder.
5. Neurobiological Model of Schizophrenia: Brain Systems and Neurotransmitters
The brain dictates much of how we perceive and react to the world around us. When the brain works differently than normal, it can lead to mental illnesses like schizophrenia. In this lesson, we'll examine the parts and functions of the brain that can lead to schizophrenia.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.