About This Chapter
Neuroanatomy & Bases of Behavior - Chapter Summary
When studying the subject of human cognition, it's a good idea to specifically study up on topics related to the anatomy of the human nervous system and the anatomical bases of behavior. This chapter's text and video lessons provide you with comprehensive overviews of different parts of the human brain and nervous system. Our instructors will go over each of these anatomical areas, as well as some of the major health issues affecting the nervous system and behavior, their symptoms and treatments. Some of the specific topics you will learn about in this chapter are:
- Behavioral neuroscience
- The different parts of the brain
- The symptoms and treatments of traumatic brain injury
- Brain lesions
- The causes, symptoms and treatments of strokes
- The endocrine system
Each video contains convenient tabs that will help you locate the main points of that particular topic. If you would like to read hard copies of the lessons, the chapter also offers you complete transcripts of each video. Be sure to take the practice quizzes and final chapter exam to ensure that you have understood this subject once you complete the chapter.
1. What Is Behavioral Neuroscience?
In this lesson, we will discuss the basics of behavioral neuroscience and the field's overall goals. We will also outline several major topics of study within the discipline.
2. Parts of the Brain
Is there a way to easily remember the many parts of the brain? Don't be afraid of all these complex terms; this lesson outlines some easy and fun phrases to help you memorize the brain's anatomy. Let's take a look.
3. What is a Neuron? - Definition, Parts & Function
What are the parts of a neuron? You'll watch Neuron Garciaparra work up a sweat as he throws baseballs to demonstrate the structures and functions of the billions of neurons that reside in your body.
4. Traumatic Brain Injuries: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson will focus on traumatic brain injury. Here, we'll learn what causes traumatic brain injury, what happens to the brain and the symptoms patients experience. Then we'll go over the two main types of traumatic brain injury as well as the treatment.
5. What is a Brain Lesion? - Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
Have you heard of a brain lesion? Do you know what causes them? Should you worry about having one? In this lesson you will learn what a brain lesion is as well as its symptoms and treatment options, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
6. What is a Stroke? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
A stroke is a reduction in blood flow to the brain. It is a major condition that can have devastating effects within the body. This article will address the symptoms that are experienced by patients as well as the causes of and treatments for strokes.
7. Endocrine System Function & Hormone Regulation
Our hormones play a big part in how we feel and behave throughout the day. Hormones also affect important bodily functions. What other functions do our hormones regulate? Find out in this lesson on the endocrine system!
8. Common Endocrine Diseases, Related Hormones & Their Effects
This lesson discusses seven endocrine diseases as well as the hormones involved. Specifically, we explore diabetes mellitus, Addison's disease, Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism.
9. Metabolic Acidosis: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
This lesson discusses a condition called metabolic acidosis, what causes it, how buffer and the respiratory systems are involved, what tests results reveal, and how it's treated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP): Study Guide & Practice course
- Neurophysiology & Behavior
- Psychopharmacology Classification & Guidelines
- Behavioral Genetics Overview
- Methodologies for Biological Bases of Behavior
- Elements of Cognition
- Principles of Learning
- Models of Motivation & Emotion
- Cognition & Health
- Psychosocial Factors in Health
- Social Perception & Cognition
- Social Interaction in Psychology
- Group Dynamics in Psychology
- Environmental & Evolutionary Psychological Perspectives
- Social-Contextual Issues & Human Behavior
- Race & Ethnicity in Psychology
- Psychology of Gender & Sexuality
- Disability & Rehabilitation
- Immigration & Cultural Issues
- Human Lifespan Development
- Human Development Risk Factors
- Assessment, Diagnosis & Psychometrics
- Psychological Assessment Models & Instruments
- Psychological Assessments
- Diagnostic Classification Systems
- Using Data in Psychology
- Technology & Assessments in Psychology
- Psychology Treatment, Prevention & Supervision
- Consultation Models in Psychology
- Psychology Career Counseling
- Healthcare Systems & Wellness
- Research Methods & Statistics
- Research & Evaluation in Psychology
- Psychology Ethical Codes & Standards
- Ethical, Legal & Professional Issues in Psychology
- EPPP Study Guide & Practice Flashcards