About This Chapter
Neurological Disorders & Psychology - Chapter Summary
Learn all about various neurological disorders studied in psychology using the short lessons in this informative online chapter. Lessons provide in-depth analyses of topics that include mood and eating disorders, schizophrenia, paranoid personality disorder, conversion disorder and OCD. If you develop questions during your review of the lessons, feel free to send them to our experts. Benefit from short quizzes and a practice exam that can assess your comprehension of concepts covered in this chapter. When finished, you will be ready to do the following:
- Survey common neurological disorders
- Evaluate somatoform disorders
- Outline symptoms and treatments for bipolar disorder
- Analyze the causes and treatment of dissociative depersonalization disorder
- Dissect panic disorder and agoraphobia
- Explain the causes and treatment of generalized anxiety disorder and acute stress disorder
- Point out the diagnosis, treatment and causes of factitious disorders
- Analyze Billy Milligan's dissociative identify disorder in a case study
1. Common Neurological Disorders: List and Descriptions
This lesson will discuss some of the more common neurological disorders we know of, why they occur, and some relatable examples to help you understand what causes these problems.
2. Mood Disorders: Depression, Persistent Depressive Disorder & Bipolar Disorder
Does feeling sad automatically mean someone is depressed? Are there different kinds of depression? What are mood disorders? This lesson will take a look at the answers to those questions.
3. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
4. Somatoform Disorders: Definition, Types & Examples
What's the mind's relationship with the body? In this lesson we'll examine how some physical symptoms could actually be caused by psychological factors.
5. What Is Bipolar Disorder? - Symptoms & Treatment
Studying the mood disorder called bipolar disorder can help you understand how persons with this disorder cycle through extreme moods of depression and mania. Explore bipolar disorder in this lesson, and test your understanding with a quiz.
6. Schizophrenia: Definition & Overview
Our perception of schizophrenia is largely shaped by what we see in the movies. Is schizophrenia more than just a 'hallucination' disease? Check out this lesson to find out about the different types of schizophrenia.
7. Dissociative Depersonalization Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
Imagine what it would be like to be outside your body, watching your own life like a movie. In this lesson, we'll look at the symptoms, causes, and treatments of a psychological disorder that's just like that: dissociative depersonalization disorder.
8. What Is Paranoid Personality Disorder? - Treatment, Symptoms & Causes
Paranoid personality disorder is an Axis II personality disorder listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). In this lesson, we will explore key features of this disorder.
9. What is OCD? - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder, better known as OCD, is a common but often misunderstood disorder. In this lesson we'll explore the obsessions and compulsions of OCD as well as causes and treatment.
10. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
Panic disorder is a debilitating condition that is characterized by how quickly it strikes. In this lesson we will learn about the symptoms, causes and treatment of panic disorder. We will also learn about agoraphobia, a disease that often accompanies panic disorder.
11. Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment for GAD
People who suffer from generalized anxiety disorder can be totally overwhelmed with fear and worry. In this lesson, we will explore GAD and learn about the possible causes and treatments of this mental disorder.
12. Acute Stress Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
When people experience a traumatic event, it can lead to all sorts of psychological problems. In this lesson, we'll look at one reaction to trauma: acute stress disorder. We'll examine the diagnostic criteria, risk factors, and treatments, and then test our knowledge with a quiz.
13. Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Factitious Disorders
Some people pretend to be sick or make themselves sick. But what could cause a person to do that? And how should they be treated? In this lesson, we'll look closer at factitious disorders.
14. Conversion Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
Have you ever heard the expression 'mind over matter?' Well, that pretty much describes conversion disorder. In this lesson, we'll learn about the history, symptoms, causes, and treatment of the mental illness known as conversion disorder.
15. Psychology Case Study: Dissociative Identity Disorder Case of Billy Milligan
Billy Milligan was a man with dissociative identity disorder that robbed people and raped three women. This lesson discusses his unique circumstances and how they affected psychology as a whole.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.