About This Chapter
Neurological Disorders - Chapter Summary
The short video lessons and texts in this chapter focus on neurological disorders that can affect the human body. Our instructors thoroughly and succinctly explain the parts of the body affected by neurological disorders and how such conditions are categorized. After you study and make your way through all of the chapter's lessons, you should be able to:
- Identify causes of neurological disorders
- List common symptoms and signs of neurological dysfunction
- Identify the parts of the central and peripheral nervous systems
- Categorize disorders based on their effects on the central or peripheral nervous systems
- Describe the impacts of common neurological disorders
The engaging video and text lessons are led by professional instructors who use clear examples to make concepts easy to understand. Although the videos are loaded with key facts and terminology, they typically take less than 10 minutes to watch.
There are multiple ways to use the chapter's material to strengthen your knowledge of neurological conditions. After watching a complete video, you can go back and review key points using video tags. Lesson transcripts are another available study tool, and they may include links to additional text lessons that provide further information about important terms. You can also take a self-assessment quiz with each lesson to see how well you grasped the covered topics.
1. What are Neurological Disorders? - Definitions & Causes
There are a ton of reasons for why your body's nervous system may fail. We'll go over what the nervous system is, what neurological disorders are, the many things that cause them, and what neurons and the myelin sheath have to do with all of this in this lesson.
2. Common Signs & Symptoms of Neurological Conditions
Explore the differences between signs and symptoms and which signs and symptoms are commonly attributed to nervous system dysfunction and disease, including amnesia and ataxia.
3. Categorization of Neurological Disorders: Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems Disorders
This lesson explores two major parts of the nervous system. You'll learn what the nervous system is and what types of problems can affect each system.
4. Common Neurological Disorders: List and Descriptions
This lesson will discuss some of the more common neurological disorders we know of, why they occur, and some relatable examples to help you understand what causes these problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Biology (305): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the NES Test
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- Overview of Chemical Bonds and Reactions
- Structure and Function of Macromolecules
- How Enzymes Work
- Basics of Metabolic Biochemistry
- Overview of Cell Division
- Process of DNA Replication
- The Transcription and Translation Process
- Basics of Gene Mutations
- Mechanisms of Biological Evolution
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Animal Reproduction and Development
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Physiology II: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Biology: Diseases & Prevention
- Cardiovascular Disorders
- Common Human Disorders
- Populations and Biological Communities
- Overview of Animal Behavior
- Ecosystems and Biomes
- Biochemical Cycles
- Human Activity and the Biosphere
- NES Biology Flashcards