About This Chapter
Neurological Nursing Actions - Chapter Summary
This self-paced nursing chapter explains several neurological nursing actions in a way that's easy to understand and remember. The chapter's short and engaging lessons outline concepts pertaining to patient management, indications and protocols for neurosurgery, intracranial pressure and other neurological issues. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Describe patient monitoring and management of non-surgical neurological procedures
- Evaluate neurosurgery nursing protocols
- Assess indications for increased intracranial pressure
- Explain patient management concepts for ventricular drains
When you're finished with a lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to help you retain critical information. The chapter is entirely self-paced, and our instructors are available and happy to answer your questions. For your convenience, we've made the chapter available 24/7 and accessible on any device that has an Internet connection.
1. Non-Surgical Neurological Procedures: Patient Monitoring & Management
Nurse play an important role in caring for patients undergoing neurological procedures. In this lesson, we will learn more about the role of the nurse in different non-surgical neurological procedures.
2. Patient Management & Nursing Protocols in Neurosurgery
Neurosurgery deals with any type of surgery involving the brain, head, skull, and spine. There are a variety of reasons to perform neurosurgery. This lesson will discuss the patient management and nursing protocols in neurosurgery in all stages.
3. Increased Intracranial Pressure (ICP): Indications & Patient Management
Increased intracranial pressure is considered a medical emergency because it affects the brain and spinal cord. This lesson will discuss the indications and patient management for increased intracranial pressure.
4. Ventricular Drains: Indications & Patient Management
What is a ventricular drain and what does it do? In this lesson, we will learn about ventricular drains, when they are indicated and how to manage them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing