About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering new product development and marketing material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn new product development and marketing. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding new product development and marketing
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning sales and marketing (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about new product development and marketing
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra sales and marketing learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the New Product Development and Marketing chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the New Product Development and Marketing chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any new product development and marketing question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a new product development and marketing unit of a standard sales and marketing course. Topics covered include:
- The product development process
- Types of new products
- Marketing new consumer products
- How products are adopted by consumers
- Classification of adopters
1. How to Develop and Market New Consumer Products
In this lesson, you will learn the six stages of the new product development process that companies use when they develop new consumer products. You'll also learn why it is important for companies that develop new consumer products to use this process.
2. Types of New Products: New Product Lines, Product Improvements & More
You will learn about the types of new product categories, such as new product lines or repositioned products, and the new product development process, from idea generation to commercialization.
3. How a New Product is Adopted by Consumers
In this lesson, you will learn the five stages consumers go through to determine whether or not to adopt a product that is new to the marketplace. You will also learn why it is important for companies introducing new products to understand the adoption process their customers use.
4. Classes of Adopters: Innovators, Early, Late and Laggards
In this lesson, you will learn how innovative products are adopted by consumers. You will learn the five classes of adopters and the role each plays in this process. You will also learn why it is important for marketers to understand this process in order to successfully introduce innovative products to the marketplace.
5. Product Life Cycles: Development, Design and Beyond
Have you ever considered that products, like humans, have a life cycle? You will learn about product life cycles and how they are designed and developed. See how a product goes from its introduction to being retired.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Sales and Marketing: Help & Review course
- Foundations of Sales & Marketing
- Ethical Sales & Marketing
- Sales & the Law
- Sustainable & International Marketing
- Strategic Marketing Planning
- The Market Research Process
- Marketing Analytics & Data
- Consumer & Business Marketing
- Segmentation and Product Marketing
- Product Planning & Promotion
- Distribution & Logistics
- Direct & Online Marketing
- Product Branding & Strategies
- Advertising & Sales Promotion
- Selling & Pricing Strategies
- Social Media Marketing Overview