About This Chapter
New York Common Core Learning Standards - Chapter Summary
This chapter takes a close look at New York Common Core Learning Standards (NYCCLS). Review informative lessons to examine the basics of these learning standards for students in grades 5 through 9. Also, analyze how these standards can aid students in their college and career readiness by the end of grade 12. Once you've reviewed the lessons, you will have the knowledge to:
- Describe NYCCLS standards for vocabulary acquisition
- Explain the learning standards for literature and informative text instruction
- Discuss writing learning standards
- Detail NYCCLS standards for speaking and listening
Make the most of the resources in this chapter by tailoring them to your unique study needs. Choose your first lesson, then scroll along the right-hand sidebar to select others in any sequence you desire. Take the multiple-choice quiz with each lesson to gauge your understanding of New York Common Core Learning Standards. If you want a broader review of the lessons, be sure to take the practice chapter exam.
1. NYCCLS: Vocabulary Acquisition
This lesson provides teachers with the knowledge they need to understand and implement NYCCLS (New York Common Core Learning Standards) vocabulary acquisition for grades 5 through 9 and how these standards prepare students for college and career readiness.
2. NYCCLS: Literature & Informational Text Instruction
As a teacher in New York, you are probably interested in aligning your reading instruction with the New York Common Core Learning Standards. This lesson focuses is what the standards say about literature and informational text.
3. NYCCLS: Writing Instruction
Good educators use a standards-based curriculum to guide their instruction. The New York Common Core Learning Standards in Writing focus on preparing students to be college and career ready in writing by focusing on specific topics and skills, which we'll review in this lesson.
4. NYCCLS: Speaking & Listening Instruction
The NYCCLS standards are careful to emphasize speaking and listening as well as reading and writing. This lesson will help you understand the speaking and listening standards for grades five through nine.
5. NYCCLS: Instruction for Reading Literature for Grades 7 -12 and Beyond
New York teachers are responsible for knowing and implementing the NYCCLS (New York Common Core Learning Standards). This lesson will help you understand the NYCCLS expectations as they relate to reading literature for grades 7-12.
6. NYCCLS: Instruction for Reading Informational Text
Are your New York students learning to read and analyze informational texts? This article will help you understand the NYCCLS standards related to grades 7-12 as they pertain to reading informational texts.
7. NYCCLS: Writing Instruction for Different Text Structures
Educators teaching text types need to know what is expected of students in this area in New York. This lesson reviews the instructions outlined in the New York Common Core Learning Standards as they relate to writing each of the main types of text.
8. NYCCLS: Instruction for Development of Speaking & Listening Skills for Grades 7 - 12 & Beyond
Effective speaking and listening skills are not inherent; they are learned. The NYCCLS for Literature offers instructions to educators related to the standards required of grades 7-12 in the area of speaking and listening.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE CST Multi-Subject - Secondary Teachers (241/242/245): Practice & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Language & Literacy Development
- Language Structures & Literacy Development
- English Morphology, Vocabulary & Grammar
- Understanding Literacy Instruction
- Literacy Assessments
- Text Comprehension Instruction Techniques
- Analyzing Types of Literature
- Analyzing Nonfiction Works
- Teaching & Assessing Reading Skills
- Writing Instruction Techniques
- Speaking, Listening & Presentation Instruction
- Rational & Real Number Systems
- Number Operations & Theory Concepts
- Ratios & Rate Reasoning
- Proportion: Theories & Practical Applications
- Basics of Algebra
- Polynomial Operations
- Basics of Functions
- Composing Functions
- Measurement & Geometry Basics
- Advanced Middle School Geometry
- Data, Probability & Statistics
- Math Instruction & Assessment
- Scientific Inquiry & Laboratory Safety
- Weather, Geology & the Earth
- Matter, Energy & Force
- Characteristics of Life
- Engineering Tools & Design
- STEM Connections
- Historical Events & New York History
- Geographic Concepts
- Human Development & Interactions
- Civics & Economics in America
- American Government & Civic Duties
- Social Studies Skills
- Visual Arts, Music, Theatre & Dance
- Health, Safety & Well-Being
- Physical & Health Education
- Family & Child Development
- Consumer Economics Overview
- Teacher Career Development
- NYSTCE CST Multi-Subject - Secondary Teachers Flashcards