About This Chapter
NMTA Essential Academic Skills Math: Mathematical Limits - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will have the opportunity to study details about limits definitions and properties as you prepare to sit for the NMTA Essential Academic Skills Math subtest. Lessons focus on helping you understand and determine limits. These videos will provide information covering the following topics to help you answer these types of exam questions:
- Determining limits by using a graph
- Defining mathematical notations of limits
- Explaining the relationship between continuity and limits
- Calculating the limits of complex functions
- Describing how to use properties of limits
Instructors with backgrounds in teaching math will guide you through these complex topics using simple language and examples to make this information accessible regardless of your skill level. Lessons are available 24/7 on any device so you can study whenever it best fits your schedule. Self-assessment quizzes allow you to demonstrate the depth of your knowledge and your readiness in taking this particular NMTA exam.
1. Using a Graph to Define Limits
Limits can be visualized and defined better with the use of graphs. Explore examples of limits defined by graphs such as speed limits and limits of a pendulum, as well as other limits in math.
2. Understanding Limits: Using Notation
Limits describe what happens as you get closer to a number. Learn about defining and understanding limits. Then, learn about finding limits, using notation.
3. One-Sided Limits and Continuity
When studying mathematics functions and methodology of calculation, a good place to start is understanding the significance of one-sided limits and continuity. Learn more about the properties and functions, and study an example of a formula for finding one-sided limits and continuity.
4. How to Determine the Limits of Functions
A limit can tell us the value that a function approaches as that function's inputs get closer and closer to a number. Learn more about how to determine the limits of functions, properties of limits and read examples.
5. Understanding the Properties of Limits
The key to understanding the properties of limits is that it requires dividing the function into its individual parts first. Learn more about the properties of limits, including the addition and subtraction property, product property, and division property.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the College Algebra: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic
- Overview of Real Numbers
- Foundations and Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Overview of Linear Equations
- Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- Inequalities: Help and Review
- Using FOIL, Graphing Parabolas & Solving Quadratics to Factor: Help & Review
- Properties of Polynomial Functions
- Working with Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Exponents
- Exponents and Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Working with Rational Expressions
- Math Expressions and Formulas
- Functions: Help and Review
- Exponentials and Logarithms: Help and Review
- Probability Mechanics: Help and Review
- Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- Percent Notation
- Data, Statistics & Probability
- Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- Basic Number Sense and Operations
- Overview of Roots & Radical Expressions
- Overview of Continuity in Mathematics