Ch 14: NMTA Essential Academic Skills Writing: Figurative Language

About This Chapter

If you find figurative language tricky, view these short, entertaining lessons, which deconstruct these concepts and make them easier to understand. Explore figures of speech, personification, allusion and more!

NMTA Essential Academic Skills Writing: Figurative Language - Chapter Summary

Use these quick, appealing video and text lessons to scrutinize the figurative speech concepts and uses you could be tested on by the NMTA Essential Academic Skills Writing assessment. As you work through the chapter, you will explore:

  • Types of figures of speech
  • Apostrophe and personification
  • Oxymorons and their purpose
  • Puns and idioms
  • Allusions and illusion

After completing each video or text lesson, be sure to work through the accompanying lesson quiz to practice using the ideas and pinpoint concepts that require more review. Check out the video transcripts for an additional learning format.

NMTA Essential Academic Skills Writing: Figurative Language - Chapter Objectives

These brief, illuminating lessons explore the figurative language topics you can expect to run into on the NMTA Essential Academic Skills Writing examination. Use the lesson quizzes to introduce yourself to the format of the multiple-choice section of the exam - we style our questions after items from the test.

The test includes 36 selected-response questions, accounting for 75% of your score. They are designed to test you on concepts such as purpose, development strategies, style, audience, usage, and word choice. The remaining 25% of your score is determined by your performance on an extended-response essay. You'll be allowed seventy-five minutes to work through the test.

6 Lessons in Chapter 14: NMTA Essential Academic Skills Writing: Figurative Language
Test your knowledge with a 30-question chapter practice test
What Is a Figure of Speech?

1. What Is a Figure of Speech?

In this lesson, we will define figure of speech and explain why it is important in your writing. After this definition, we will examine the more common figure of speeches and look at some examples.

Personification and Apostrophe: Differences & Examples

2. Personification and Apostrophe: Differences & Examples

In this lesson, explore how writers use personification to give human characteristics to objects, ideas, and animals. Learn about apostrophe, or when characters speak to objects, ideas, and even imaginary people as if they were also characters.

Oxymoron in Literature: Definition, Purpose & Examples

3. Oxymoron in Literature: Definition, Purpose & Examples

In this lesson, you'll review figurative language and its purpose in literature. Then, take a closer look at the term oxymoron and analyze some examples.

Pun in Literature: Definition & Examples

4. Pun in Literature: Definition & Examples

In this lesson, we'll briefly review figurative language. Furthermore, we'll look closer at one type of figurative language: the pun. You'll be able to analyze some examples of the pun and see why it's used.

What is an Idiom? - Definition & Examples

5. What is an Idiom? - Definition & Examples

Break a leg! It takes two to tango. In this lesson, we'll learn all about idioms, those colorful figures of speech that play with language and take on a meaning of their own.

Allusion and Illusion: Definitions and Examples

6. Allusion and Illusion: Definitions and Examples

Allusions and illusions have little in common besides the fact that they sound similar. Learn the difference between the two and how allusions are an important part of literature and writing - and how to spot them in text.

Chapter Practice Exam
Test your knowledge of this chapter with a 30 question practice chapter exam.
Not Taken
Practice Final Exam
Test your knowledge of the entire course with a 50 question practice final exam.
Not Taken

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Support