About This Chapter
NMTA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons - Chapter Summary
Watch these quick, appealing videos to get reacquainted with the parallel lines and polygons concepts you'll be asked about on the NMTA Math exam. You'll see illustrations and explanations of the concepts likely to appear on the certification assessment, such as:
- Transversal angles
- Parallel line proofs
- The Parallel Postulate
- Regular polygons
- Finding polygon diagonals
- Calculating perimeter and area
- Angle measurements
To ensure you retain the information from the videos, be sure to take the lesson quizzes so you can practice the proofs and measurement methods you've studied. Refer to the video transcripts to quickly hunt down the most important concepts, which are highlighted.
Objectives of the NMTA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons Chapter
Geometry and measurement questions make up nineteen percent of the NMTA Math assessment. Get ready for these questions by working through the parallel lines and polygons lessons in this chapter. Use the lesson quizzes to practice for the exam. They mimic format of the questions on the computer-administered NMTA so you can get comfortable with the testing style and conditions.
The remainder of the exam covers the following four content areas: calculus and trig; math processes and number sense; stats, probability and discrete math; and patterns, algebra and functions. The exam is timed - you'll be given four hours and fifteen minutes to complete it.
1. Angles Formed by a Transversal
When you have a pair of parallel lines and a transversal, something very interesting happens to the angles that are formed. You can see this happen in real life at street intersections and such. Watch this video lesson to learn about all of this.
2. Parallel Lines: How to Prove Lines Are Parallel
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can prove that two lines are parallel just by matching up pairs of angles. Learn which angles to pair up and what to look for.
3. Using Converse Statements to Prove Lines Are Parallel
Because a pair of parallel lines produces unique angle characteristics, we can use this information to our advantage. Watch this video lesson to see how we turn this advantage into converse statements to help us prove parallel lines.
4. The Parallel Postulate: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about an important postulate in Euclidean geometry, called the Parallel Postulate. It sounds kind of hard, but this lesson explains it in simple terms and provides several examples of it as well.
5. Regular Polygons: Definition & Parts
What makes a polygon a polygon? And what shapes are considered polygons? In this lesson, find out the answers to these questions and more as we learn all about polygons and their parts.
6. How to Find the Number of Diagonals in a Polygon
At first, you might think that the diagonals of a polygon are pretty useless, but watch this video lesson to learn how diagonals are used in real life. You will learn the formula to find how many diagonals a polygon has as well as how to use it.
7. Finding the Perimeter of Polygons
In this video lesson, you will learn the process you need to take to find the perimeter of polygons. You will also learn that there is a shortcut if your polygon is a regular polygon.
8. Measuring the Area of Regular Polygons: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn why a regular polygon makes your life easier when it comes to finding the area inside one. Learn the one formula for area that will work for any type of regular polygon.
9. How to Measure the Angles of a Polygon & Find the Sum
Watch this video lesson to learn the one formula that lets you find the measure of angles in any regular polygon. Also, learn how you can tell if you are working with a regular polygon or not.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NMTA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NMTA Math: Fractions
- NMTA Math: Decimals & Percents
- NMTA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NMTA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NMTA Math: Logic
- NMTA Math: Reasoning
- NMTA Math: Vector Operations
- NMTA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NMTA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NMTA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NMTA Math: Linear Equations
- NMTA Math: Inequalities
- NMTA Math: Absolute Value
- NMTA Math: Quadratic Equations
- NMTA Math: Polynomials
- NMTA Math: Rational Expressions
- NMTA Math: Radical Expressions
- NMTA Math: Systems of Equations
- NMTA Math: Complex Numbers
- NMTA Math: Functions
- NMTA Math: Piecewise Functions
- NMTA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NMTA Math: Continuity of a Function
- NMTA Math: Limits
- NMTA Math: Rate of Change
- NMTA Math: Derivative Rules
- NMTA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NMTA Math: Integration Techniques
- NMTA Math: Applications of Integration
- NMTA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NMTA Math: Geometric Figures
- NMTA Math: Properties of Triangles
- NMTA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NMTA Math: Quadrilaterals
- NMTA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NMTA Math: Conic Sections
- NMTA Math: Geometric Solids
- NMTA Math: Analytical Geometry
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NMTA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NMTA Math: Sequences & Series
- NMTA Math: Graph Theory
- NMTA Math: Set Theory
- NMTA Math: Statistics Overview
- NMTA Math: Summarizing Data
- NMTA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NMTA Math: Probability
- NMTA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Sampling
- NMTA Math: Regression & Correlation
- NMTA Mathematics Flashcards