About This Chapter
NMTA Math: Properties of Real Numbers - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to review real number properties as you prepare for the NMTA Math exam. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- List and define the types real numbers and give examples
- Identify composite and prime numbers
- Explain and implement the commutative and associative properties and the multiplication property of zero
- Find the greatest common factor, least common multiple and prime factorization
- Outline the mathematical order of operations
Our short video lessons help you cover material quickly, and videos tags let you skip directly to a topic. You can also review the lesson transcripts that feature important terminology, definitions and examples. As you complete each of the lessons, take the self-assessment quiz to confirm your understanding of the principles as you prepare for the NMTA Math exam.
Objectives of the NMTA Math: Properties of Real Numbers Chapter
The NMTA Math certification exam assesses your knowledge of math concepts that include numbers and operations, algebra, functions, measurement, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, statistics, probability and discrete math. The topics covered in this Properties of Real Numbers chapter are part of the Mathematical Processes and Number Sense domain, which equates to approximately 19% of the NES Mathematics test (about 26 questions). To become familiar with the testing format and confirm your understanding of the material, complete the self-assessment quizzes throughout the chapter.
The exam is computer-based and comprised of approximately 150 multiple-choice questions. It must be completed within four hours and fifteen minutes. An on-screen scientific calculator, a formulas page and on-screen reference materials are available for your use while testing.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
3. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
4. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
5. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
6. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
7. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
8. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
9. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NMTA Math: Fractions
- NMTA Math: Decimals & Percents
- NMTA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NMTA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NMTA Math: Logic
- NMTA Math: Reasoning
- NMTA Math: Vector Operations
- NMTA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NMTA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NMTA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NMTA Math: Linear Equations
- NMTA Math: Inequalities
- NMTA Math: Absolute Value
- NMTA Math: Quadratic Equations
- NMTA Math: Polynomials
- NMTA Math: Rational Expressions
- NMTA Math: Radical Expressions
- NMTA Math: Systems of Equations
- NMTA Math: Complex Numbers
- NMTA Math: Functions
- NMTA Math: Piecewise Functions
- NMTA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NMTA Math: Continuity of a Function
- NMTA Math: Limits
- NMTA Math: Rate of Change
- NMTA Math: Derivative Rules
- NMTA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NMTA Math: Integration Techniques
- NMTA Math: Applications of Integration
- NMTA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NMTA Math: Geometric Figures
- NMTA Math: Properties of Triangles
- NMTA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NMTA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NMTA Math: Quadrilaterals
- NMTA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NMTA Math: Conic Sections
- NMTA Math: Geometric Solids
- NMTA Math: Analytical Geometry
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NMTA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NMTA Math: Sequences & Series
- NMTA Math: Graph Theory
- NMTA Math: Set Theory
- NMTA Math: Statistics Overview
- NMTA Math: Summarizing Data
- NMTA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NMTA Math: Probability
- NMTA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Sampling
- NMTA Math: Regression & Correlation
- NMTA Mathematics Flashcards