About This Chapter
NMTA Math: Properties of Triangles - Chapter Summary
Use the video lessons in this chapter to refresh your knowledge of the properties of triangles as you get ready to take your NMTA Mathematics assessment. The videos are designed to help you brush up on this topic so that, upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to answer the following questions:
- Defining and identifying the properties of triangles
- Classifying triangles by angles and sides
- Understanding the median, altitude and angle bisectors of a triangle
- Identifying similar triangles
- Utilizing of the Pythagorean theorem
- Defining interior and exterior angles of triangles
- Understanding the properties of concurrent lines, dilations and right triangles
The instructors in the videos offer step-by-step guidance to ensure you grasp the concepts associated with the properties of triangles. This unique online approach makes it easy for you to analyze this topic in a comfortable environment while helping you acquire the knowledge necessary to take the exam.
Objectives of the NMTA Math: Properties of Triangles Chapter
The NMTA Mathematics assessment is designed to test your math knowledge while ensuring you fulfill the requirements necessary for New Mexico teaching licensure or endorsement. The topics found in this NMTA Math: Properties of Triangles chapter are located in the measurement and geometry portion of the exam, which constitutes about 19% of the assessment. The lesson quizzes found in this chapter can help you determine how prepared you are to take this portion of the exam while providing insight into the multiple-choice question format you'll encounter when you take the test.
1. Triangles: Definition and Properties
What makes a shape a triangle? In this lesson, we'll explore the definition of a triangle, then analyze the parts of triangles, including the vertices, base and height.
2. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
3. Classifying Triangles by Angles and Sides
Not all triangles are the same. There are equilateral, isosceles and scalene triangles. Then there are right, acute and obtuse triangles. In this lesson, we'll learn how to classify triangles using their sides and angles.
4. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Interior and Exterior Angles of Triangles: Definition & Examples
Knowing just a few things about the interior or exterior angles of triangles is sometimes all you need to put all the pieces together. Find out more in this lesson.
6. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
7. Median, Altitude, and Angle Bisectors of a Triangle
Line segments in triangles are just clutter; they have special names and qualities depending on how they're drawn. In this lesson, we'll learn about medians, altitudes and angle bisectors.
8. Properties of Concurrent Lines in a Triangle
Centroids, orthocenters, incenters, circumcenters, oh my! Don't worry though. In this lesson, we master the various terms for concurrent lines in triangles and match them to altitudes, angle bisectors, perpendicular bisectors and medians.
9. Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems & Proofs
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties of and theorems associated with right triangles, which have a wide range of applications in math and science. Specifically, we will discuss and prove the Pythagorean theorem and the right triangle altitude theorem. Let's get started.
10. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
11. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NMTA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NMTA Math: Fractions
- NMTA Math: Decimals & Percents
- NMTA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NMTA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NMTA Math: Logic
- NMTA Math: Reasoning
- NMTA Math: Vector Operations
- NMTA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NMTA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NMTA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NMTA Math: Linear Equations
- NMTA Math: Inequalities
- NMTA Math: Absolute Value
- NMTA Math: Quadratic Equations
- NMTA Math: Polynomials
- NMTA Math: Rational Expressions
- NMTA Math: Radical Expressions
- NMTA Math: Systems of Equations
- NMTA Math: Complex Numbers
- NMTA Math: Functions
- NMTA Math: Piecewise Functions
- NMTA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NMTA Math: Continuity of a Function
- NMTA Math: Limits
- NMTA Math: Rate of Change
- NMTA Math: Derivative Rules
- NMTA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NMTA Math: Integration Techniques
- NMTA Math: Applications of Integration
- NMTA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NMTA Math: Geometric Figures
- NMTA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NMTA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NMTA Math: Quadrilaterals
- NMTA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NMTA Math: Conic Sections
- NMTA Math: Geometric Solids
- NMTA Math: Analytical Geometry
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NMTA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NMTA Math: Sequences & Series
- NMTA Math: Graph Theory
- NMTA Math: Set Theory
- NMTA Math: Statistics Overview
- NMTA Math: Summarizing Data
- NMTA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NMTA Math: Probability
- NMTA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Sampling
- NMTA Math: Regression & Correlation
- NMTA Mathematics Flashcards