About This Chapter
NMTA Math: Regression & Correlation - Chapter Summary
As you work through the fun, accessible videos in this chapter, most of them just a few minutes long, you'll examine and practice the regression and correlation concepts you're expected to know for the NMTA Math assessment. Lessons demonstrate:
- Scatterplot structure and interpretation
- Processes for simple linear regression
- Applications of linear regression
- Techniques for residuals analysis
- The correlation coefficient
- The relationship between correlation and causation
- How to transform nonlinear data
Use the lesson quizzes to solve regression and correlation problems on your own and see how those types of problems might be framed on the exam. Let our instructors know if you have any questions about regression, correlation, or the methods in the chapter.
Objectives of the NMTA Math: Regression & Correlation Chapter
This chapter is designed to help you master regression and correlation topics to help you succeed on the NMTA Math certification assessment. Quick, entertaining videos make study appealing and lesson quizzes let you practice linear regression techniques and analysis of residuals, among other methods.
The NMTA Math exam is designed to judge your abilities in five mathematical domains. Measurement and geometry; math processes and number sense; stats, probability and discrete math; and trig and calculus each account for 19% of your score. Patterns, algebra and functions take up the remainder. You'll be timed as you work through the 150-question exam, and will have to stop at four hours and fifteen minutes whether or not you've completed your assessment. Use the lesson quizzes in this chapter to test your exam pace.
1. Creating & Interpreting Scatterplots: Process & Examples
Scatterplots are a great visual representation of two sets of data. In this lesson, you will learn how to interpret bivariate data to create scatterplots and understand the relationship between the two variables.
2. Simple Linear Regression: Definition, Formula & Examples
Simple linear regression is a great way to make observations and interpret data. In this lesson, you will learn to find the regression line of a set of data using a ruler and a graphing calculator.
3. Problem Solving Using Linear Regression: Steps & Examples
Linear regression can be a powerful tool for predicting and interpreting information. Learn to use two common formulas for linear regression in this lesson.
4. Analyzing Residuals: Process & Examples
Can you tell what's normal or independent and what's not? Sometimes, we need to figure this out in the world of statistics. This lesson shows you how as it explains residuals and regression assumptions in the context of linear regression analysis.
5. The Correlation Coefficient: Definition, Formula & Example
The correlation coefficient is an equation that is used to determine the strength of the relationship between two variables. This lesson helps you understand it by breaking the equation down.
6. Correlation vs. Causation: Differences & Definition
When conducting experiments and analyzing data, many people often confuse the concepts of correlation and causation. In this lesson, you will learn the differences between the two and how to identify one over the other.
7. Transforming Nonlinear Data: Steps & Examples
Sometimes we have data sets that we need to analyze and interpret, but it's difficult because the data is nonlinear. This lesson will teach you how to transform nonlinear data sets into more linear graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NMTA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NMTA Math: Fractions
- NMTA Math: Decimals & Percents
- NMTA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NMTA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NMTA Math: Logic
- NMTA Math: Reasoning
- NMTA Math: Vector Operations
- NMTA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NMTA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NMTA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NMTA Math: Linear Equations
- NMTA Math: Inequalities
- NMTA Math: Absolute Value
- NMTA Math: Quadratic Equations
- NMTA Math: Polynomials
- NMTA Math: Rational Expressions
- NMTA Math: Radical Expressions
- NMTA Math: Systems of Equations
- NMTA Math: Complex Numbers
- NMTA Math: Functions
- NMTA Math: Piecewise Functions
- NMTA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NMTA Math: Continuity of a Function
- NMTA Math: Limits
- NMTA Math: Rate of Change
- NMTA Math: Derivative Rules
- NMTA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NMTA Math: Integration Techniques
- NMTA Math: Applications of Integration
- NMTA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NMTA Math: Geometric Figures
- NMTA Math: Properties of Triangles
- NMTA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NMTA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NMTA Math: Quadrilaterals
- NMTA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NMTA Math: Conic Sections
- NMTA Math: Geometric Solids
- NMTA Math: Analytical Geometry
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NMTA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NMTA Math: Sequences & Series
- NMTA Math: Graph Theory
- NMTA Math: Set Theory
- NMTA Math: Statistics Overview
- NMTA Math: Summarizing Data
- NMTA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NMTA Math: Probability
- NMTA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Sampling
- NMTA Mathematics Flashcards