About This Chapter
NMTA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs - Chapter Summary
Refresh your skills in making and reading tables, plots and graphs by watching the video lessons in this chapter. To get prepared for the NMTA Mathematics test, allow our instructors to guide you through the process of interpreting data represented in histograms, pie charts, box plots and more. Once you finish the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Identify types and uses of frequency tables
- Read stem and leaf displays
- Describe the components of a histogram
- Understand frequency polygons
- Create dot plots and box plots
- Interpret data from pie charts and bar graphs
- Define bivariate data
Our videos are brief but packed with lots of examples of graphs, plots and tables. As long as you have a mobile device, you can practice working with these data representations in addition to reading lesson transcripts and taking quizzes.
Objectives of the NMTA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs Chapter
Candidates for math teaching licenses in New Mexico must pass the NMTA Mathematics test. It assesses your knowledge and skills in several areas, including algebra, geometry, calculus and number sense. All of the 150 questions on the computerized exam are multiple choice, so taking our lesson quizzes can give you some practice in answering similar questions in this format.
The NMTA Mathematics test has five content domains. This chapter's material on tables, plots and graphs correlates with questions in the statistics, probability and discrete mathematics portion. In this section, you could be asked to answer questions involving data organization and analysis.
1. Frequency & Relative Frequency Tables: Definition & Examples
Frequency and relative frequency tables are a good way to visualize information. This is especially useful for information that is grouped into categories where you are looking for popularity or mode.
2. Cumulative Frequency Tables: Definition, Uses & Examples
Cumulative frequency tables can help you analyze and understand large amounts of information. In this lesson, you practice creating and interpreting cumulative frequency tables.
3. Creating & Reading Stem & Leaf Displays
Every once in a while you will come across stem-and-leaf displays in statistics. These displays can be very useful in identifying all of the values in a data set while still visually representing the data.
4. Creating & Interpreting Histograms: Process & Examples
Creating histograms can help you easily identify and interpret data. This lesson will give you several examples to better understand histograms and how to create them.
5. Creating & Interpreting Frequency Polygons: Process & Examples
Frequency polygons can be used to analyze data sets in many different ways. They are also a great way to visualize and compare two sets of data. In this lesson, learn the uses and create a frequency polygon.
6. Creating & Interpreting Dot Plots: Process & Examples
Dot plots are a visual way to display the frequency distribution in a data set. In this lesson, you will learn how to construct a dot plot and understand its uses.
7. Creating & Interpreting Box Plots: Process & Examples
Box plots are an essential tool in statistical analysis. This lesson will help you create a box plot and understand its meaning. When you are finished, test your understanding with a short quiz!
8. Understanding Bar Graphs and Pie Charts
In this lesson, we will examine two of the most widely used types of graphs: bar graphs and pie charts. These two graphs can provide the reader with a comparison of the different data that is displayed.
9. What is Bivariate Data? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will be learning about the definition and uses of bivariate data. We will also compare and contrast the characteristics of univariate data and bivariate data.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NMTA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NMTA Math: Fractions
- NMTA Math: Decimals & Percents
- NMTA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NMTA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- NMTA Math: Logic
- NMTA Math: Reasoning
- NMTA Math: Vector Operations
- NMTA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NMTA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NMTA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NMTA Math: Linear Equations
- NMTA Math: Inequalities
- NMTA Math: Absolute Value
- NMTA Math: Quadratic Equations
- NMTA Math: Polynomials
- NMTA Math: Rational Expressions
- NMTA Math: Radical Expressions
- NMTA Math: Systems of Equations
- NMTA Math: Complex Numbers
- NMTA Math: Functions
- NMTA Math: Piecewise Functions
- NMTA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NMTA Math: Continuity of a Function
- NMTA Math: Limits
- NMTA Math: Rate of Change
- NMTA Math: Derivative Rules
- NMTA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NMTA Math: Integration Techniques
- NMTA Math: Applications of Integration
- NMTA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NMTA Math: Geometric Figures
- NMTA Math: Properties of Triangles
- NMTA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NMTA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NMTA Math: Quadrilaterals
- NMTA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NMTA Math: Conic Sections
- NMTA Math: Geometric Solids
- NMTA Math: Analytical Geometry
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NMTA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NMTA Math: Sequences & Series
- NMTA Math: Graph Theory
- NMTA Math: Set Theory
- NMTA Math: Statistics Overview
- NMTA Math: Summarizing Data
- NMTA Math: Probability
- NMTA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Sampling
- NMTA Math: Regression & Correlation
- NMTA Mathematics Flashcards