About This Chapter
NMTA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in the chapter to help strengthen your knowledge of the units of measurement and conversions in mathematics while preparing to take your NES Mathematics assessment. These lessons are designed to give you an in-depth look at the topics you'll see on the exam and prepare you to answer questions related to:
- Understanding the standard units of measurement length, weight, time and capacity
- Converting standard units of measure
- Analyzing units and unit conversions in the metric system
- Getting the gist of dimensional analysis
- Converting currency with the use of exchange rates
- Defining scientific notation
- Analyzing accuracy and error in measurements
The instructors in the video lessons guide you through each mathematical concept to ensure you can use them effectively when you take your exam. This unique approach gives you a comprehensive look at what to expect on your assessment, and the lessons help you learn in a fun and relaxed environment.
Objectives of the NMTA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions Chapter
The NES Mathematics assessment tests your knowledge of mathematics to help you fulfill your New Mexico teacher licensure or endorsement requirements. The topics covered in this NMTA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions chapter are a part of the measurement and geometry portion of the assessment, which constitutes about 19% of the exam. Self-assessment quizzes are available with each lesson to help you gauge how well you understand the materials. They also offer insight into the actual questions you could encounter on the exam.
All questions on the assessment are multiple choice and are likely to come in the form of short questions, statements or paragraphs. They require you to read the passage based on specific competencies then read four answers, choosing one of the four as the best option.
1. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
2. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles, and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
3. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
4. How to Convert Units in the Metric System
If you can make dinner, you can convert units in the metric system. It's that easy! In this lesson, you'll learn about the three key things you'll need to perform conversions.
5. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
6. Exchange Rates & Currency Conversion
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how currency conversion works. You will be able to convert from one currency to another with ease. Learn the process behind currency conversion.
7. Accuracy & Error in Measurements
When making measurements, it is important to be as accurate as possible. In this lesson, learn about what accuracy is and how we measure and quantify exactly how much error there is in a measurement.
8. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Mathematics (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- NMTA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- NMTA Math: Fractions
- NMTA Math: Decimals & Percents
- NMTA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- NMTA Math: Logic
- NMTA Math: Reasoning
- NMTA Math: Vector Operations
- NMTA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- NMTA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- NMTA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- NMTA Math: Linear Equations
- NMTA Math: Inequalities
- NMTA Math: Absolute Value
- NMTA Math: Quadratic Equations
- NMTA Math: Polynomials
- NMTA Math: Rational Expressions
- NMTA Math: Radical Expressions
- NMTA Math: Systems of Equations
- NMTA Math: Complex Numbers
- NMTA Math: Functions
- NMTA Math: Piecewise Functions
- NMTA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- NMTA Math: Continuity of a Function
- NMTA Math: Limits
- NMTA Math: Rate of Change
- NMTA Math: Derivative Rules
- NMTA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- NMTA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- NMTA Math: Integration Techniques
- NMTA Math: Applications of Integration
- NMTA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NMTA Math: Geometric Figures
- NMTA Math: Properties of Triangles
- NMTA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- NMTA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NMTA Math: Quadrilaterals
- NMTA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NMTA Math: Conic Sections
- NMTA Math: Geometric Solids
- NMTA Math: Analytical Geometry
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- NMTA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- NMTA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- NMTA Math: Sequences & Series
- NMTA Math: Graph Theory
- NMTA Math: Set Theory
- NMTA Math: Statistics Overview
- NMTA Math: Summarizing Data
- NMTA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- NMTA Math: Probability
- NMTA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- NMTA Math: Sampling
- NMTA Math: Regression & Correlation
- NMTA Mathematics Flashcards